HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Cystoscopy

Well after seeing the gynecologist and the urologist, we are now moving ahead with not only the complete hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries and tubes; the urologist upon seeing him this past Friday, has scheduled me for Jan 25, 2011 to be at the hospital for 730am to perform a Cystoscopy.

The doctor said that by doing this, he will be able to see if my cyst is attached to the uterine wall and he wants to make sure it isn't attached to the bladder.

I have been told he may drain the cyst as well which if it is at all possible, that would eliminate the extra doctor during the actual hysterectomy (which is being scheduled about 5 to 6 months from now).

Has anyone had a Cystoscopy?

Thanks!

Sharon
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Re: Cystoscopy

Hi Sharon!

I had a cystoscopy about 3 years ago. Mine was done under anesthesia in OR prior to a laparoscopy to remove endometriosis and adhesions.

For a cystoscopy, a camera (cystoscope) is inserted into the urethra and then on into the bladder. Biopsies and pictures can be taken during the procedure. I am not sure how your doctor plans to see an ovarian cyst with a cystoscopy though, or how it would be drained, because nothing is visible except the inside of the urethra and bladder. Are you having a laparoscopy at the same time maybe? That would allow the doctor to look around the pelvic cavity and address any cysts.

We do have some information in our Resource Database if you would like to read more about a cystoscopy.

I hope all goes well for you!
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM

I am having one done in the dr office next week without anest. She told me that It feels no different than a cathather being placed and she rubs numbing medicine on the surface. I didn't even feel it so she said I would have no issue with tolerating the cystoscopy. Now I'm scared!!
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphreal View Post
I am having one done in the dr office next week without anest. She told me that It feels no different than a cathather being placed and she rubs numbing medicine on the surface. I didn't even feel it so she said I would have no issue with tolerating the cystoscopy. Now I'm scared!!
Many cystoscopies are done in office with no problem. Mine was done in OR for a couple reasons. One, I was having the laparoscopy anyway. Two, I was also having hydrodistention of the bladder which can be painful because I was being checked for IC.

(((Aphreal))), if you didn't feel the catheter, you should be fine!

Unread 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Thank you ladies for your responses .

I'm having mine done at the hospital. The cyst is not part of the fibroid, it is a separate issue altogether. He did say he will give me something for the freezing prior to doing the procedure.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
Many cystoscopies are done in office with no problem. Mine was done in OR for a couple reasons. One, I was having the laparoscopy anyway. Two, I was also having hydrodistention of the bladder which can be painful because I was being checked for IC.

(((Aphreal))), if you didn't feel the catheter, you should be fine!

ohohoh ok.. whew LOL. I am still new to this and well... My nerves are heightened and I easily become afraid. She knows I am a big baby so she said (when I had the initial cath test to see how I void) that she would use lots of numbing medicine and then she was in with the cath. I felt an odd sensation but it did not hurt at all and thats all I care about. In fact I wasn't voiding well so I started laughing which.. of course.. helped things along then we all started laughing.. it was the oddest visit I've ever had.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

I have had two, both in the doctors office and the last time I returned to work afterwards.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM

I had my first cystoscopy over the summer. I was really nervous at first, but it was really quick-over and done with in about five minutes. They used some numbing gel before the procedure so that definitely helped a lot. I had some burning while going to the bathroom the rest of the day, but they gave me some ProSed and it really helped. Good luck!
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I had a cystoscopy almost a year ago. They did it in the hospital with just numbing gel. It wasn't really bad, just uncomfortable. It will burn the first few times you go pee after, but will go away within a day usually. Hope all goes well

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.