HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long does it take to get hormones balanced? How long does it take to get hormones balanced?

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM
How long does it take to get hormones balanced?

I had a total hysterectomy in March of 2009. My hormones are still not balanced. I am now on 4.5 mg of estriol, 1.5 mg of estradiol, .3 mg estrone, and 7 mg testosterone in compounded cream. I don't do well with the pills and have tried patches. I am doing better with this, but things will go along fine, and then one day, it's not enough. I have worked with the compounding pharmacy and they are the ones that suggested adding the estrone. They said because I don't have much body fat, I don't store estrogen as well as others who do have curves.

Symptoms now include irritability, anxiety, and horrible sores on my hands when I eat anything with citric acid in it. The sores do not appear when I am balanced. I know it's weird, but that's what my body is doing. If anyone else out there has similar symptoms, I sure would like to know

So, my question is. Is it normal to not be balanced at almost 2 years out from a hysterectomy? Will this be an ongoing issue?

Thanks for any feedback.
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Re: How long does it take to get hormones balanced?

That is a long time. It took me about a year and a half to find balance. It was only after I stopped tweaking at the first sign of a symptom and kept a journal did I finally find the other side of the jungle

That said; we do have many women here who are in a constant struggle to find what works for them.

I did use tri-est, which includes estrone in the beginning. I think I was on tri-est for 3-4 years. I did quite well on it. I would like to mention that I am also thin with not much body fat. My regime also included a 5% compounded progesterone cream and a 1% testosterone cream. I am currently using bi-est and an OTC progesterone and occassionally a dab of testosterone.

Unread 01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Re: How long does it take to get hormones balanced?

Thanks for the feedback. I tried Pogesterone pill and cream and cannot tolerate it. Side effects include way over the top anxiety along with irritability to the point I cannot the sound of anyone's voice. I cannot sleep for weeks after using just a dab. So, both my doctor, my family (they told me to never ever think about using it again), and I have decided Progesterone is not for me. I have met other people who do not tolerate it either so I don't feel too weird.

I did use an herb called Maca root recently. I used a pinch of it yesterday, and now that my mind is clearing, I know that's one of the things that pushed me deep into the jungle. That being said, I was experiencing terrible fatigue before I decided to try the Maca Root. Fatigue so bad that it wore me out to drive to work. I just didn't want to go up on the estrogen so I talked to a nutritionist and decided on the Maca. I reacted to the Maca like I did Progesterone.

So, I suppose I will see what the doctor says on Monday. I just want to get on a dose that works for me for a long time. I have been out of balance since my early thirties. I was told I had Lupus, which I do not. All along it has been the hormones. So, I've already dealt with this for 16 years.

I suppose there is light at the end of this tunnel.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.