HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

ibuprofen 5 days before surgery, safe to have surgery still??? ibuprofen 5 days before surgery, safe to have surgery still???

Unread 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
ibuprofen 5 days before surgery, safe to have surgery still???

I think I messed up by taking ibuprofen last Thursday! I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in 2 days on Jan 25th, this Tuesday, and was reading through all my paperwork tonight. I just saw that I was not supposed to have any ibuprofen for at least 7 days prior to my surgery. No one mentioned this while going over anything. I had my period last week and took ibuprofen and tylenol to help with the pain. The last time I took it was Thursday, which will be 5 days before my surgery. Will it still be safe to have my surgery in 2 days or will they likely reschedule?
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Re: ibuprofen 5 days before surgery, safe to have surgery still???

Call your doctor & check. I would imagine it depends on the amount you took. I did the same thing 4 days before surgery because no one mentioned it to me. When they called to do my pre-op, that was one of the questions. I told the nurse I had taken some & when... Her response: "you aren't supposed to do that." My surgery went ahead as planned, so I'm not sure exactly what they use to decide. Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Thank you AlwaysVirginia! I have been a nervous wreck about this. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who has done this! I called the doctor and she said technically it will only be 4 days since I took it on the day of my surgery. She said as long as I haven't taken it for 3 days before my surgery, then I should be ok. The "should be" part worried me with how she said it. She said just to let them know before the surgery tomorrow so they can be prepared for anything, in case I bleed more. I was worried about the surgery before, now I am freaking out!
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM

I took it right up until my surgery and had very little bleeding. The Dr sent me home with that and vicoden for pain and i took the motrin and not the vicoden cause it made me sick. My Dr gave me to ok to keep taking it.Some ok and some say no according to the DR i guess.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:12 AM

You did the right thing telling your Dr and if they were really concerned, they would cancel so don't beat yourself up about it. Take a deep breath, and relax.
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM

I agree, you did the right thing by getting in touch with your doctor!

Definitely make sure you do let the anesthesia and the pre op staff know on the day of surgery when the last time you took ibuprofen had been. The issue is that ibuprofen can thin your blood which can create issues during a surgery. If the OR team is prepared before hand, they could be better able to handle a possible bleeding situation should it arise.

Try not to panic. You have spoken with the medical professional in charge of your case and she thinks you should be okay. She can't promise you it will be okay for more than reasons than just the ibuprofen, but if she felt the risks were too high she would have rescheduled your surgery.

Unread 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM

I just started my period yesterday and have to take 600 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the pain. I just called the nurse to make sure this was okay and she said it was. Whew! I don't take any other blood thinners like aspirin or anything else for that matter, so she said I'd be fine. I think I'd die if I had to endure this pain with no help!! lol

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.