HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

thick uterine lining (post-menopause) thick uterine lining (post-menopause)

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
thick uterine lining (post-menopause)

Can anyone tell me what they did if they were postmenpausal and have a thick uterine lining. Doctor thinks I should get a hyster but Im not sure. Doc says I could try promentrium to see If it thins the lining. Has anyone tried this.
Unread 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Re: thick uterine lining (post-menopause)

Hi jagk1982,

My SIL had thickening of her uterine lining too. It sure can be scary. Prometrium (or it may have been a progestin she actually used) worked well for her. She was ready to just have a hyster but her doc talked her into trying the progesterone and now her lining is normal again. In fact she likes the progesterone and wants to stay on it. She feels better and has even lost weight with it. Too much estrogen can be balanced nicely with a little progesterone in some women.

A hyster is major surgery, you are wise to ask questions. You can try the Prometrium and see how it works for you. Tests to monitor your lining should be done but it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps, best wishes.

Unread 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Hi jagk,
I was postmenopausal and had a had a very thick lining; I had gone to my gyn/onc as I had some very slight spotting and a transvaginal sonogram showed the thick lining. My doctor then ordered a D&C with hysteroscope to get cells from the lining to test; that path report showed "precancerous cells cannot rule out cancer" and she then strongly recommended a hysterectomy.
Generally the lining in post-menopasual women is not thick. Has your doctor recommended further testing -either a biopsy or a D&C to check the lining? This would help determine if the lining contained any possible "bad" cells. If you should learn that precancer or cancer may be present, I would strongly recommend you consult with a gyn/oncologist who are the experts.
Please let us now how you are doing.
s
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM

I do not have any precancer cells, I had a dc last fri. I did not talk to dr. she told my daughter There was a polyp but it did not look like any cancer. I also had biopsies in office and vaginal ultrasounds. Maybe I could try the promentrium before I have hyster.
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi, I am glad you had the D&C as well as biopsy and most importantly that no pre-cancer or cancer was found. Did your doctor advise what s/he thinks may be contributing to the thick lining? I understand that sometimes hormonal imbalance may be a factor. Perhaps the polyp is playing a role? Since the doctor is recommending a hysterectomy, have you quized s/he in depth why? Also, you might seek a second opinon if you have any doubts. I am sure if the doctor puts you on promentrium s/he will keep a close watch to determine how well it is working; etc and do testing as necessary.

I almost decided to try hormones/meds when I had my dx despite the fact the testing showed precancer apparently was there. I am glad I did (after consulting with two gyn/oncs) as cancer in fact was present as the D&C having missed it.

I wish you well as you make the decision right for you. Pls keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.