HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Full Feeling in Vagina - Is it something prolapse again? Full Feeling in Vagina - Is it something prolapse again?

Unread 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Full Feeling in Vagina - Is it something prolapse again?

I had a TVH two weeks ago with rectocele and vaginal prolapse repairs as well, the main reason for the surgery was my prolapsed uterus. Since yesterday evening I have felt a fullness in my vagina. It feels a lot like it did when my uterus, bladder, and rectum were all hanging out in there prior to the surgery. My concern is that something has re-prolapsed - is that possible so soon after surgery?

Two days ago I was moving around on the couch and felt a pain in my abdomen, but it went away after a few minutes. Yesterday morning when I got up and went to the bathroom there was blood in the toilet, enough to make the water pink. No more bleeding since then. I also had to go pee every 20-30 minutes most of the day yesterday, but that subsided by the afternoon. I'm telling you all of this because I don't know if it may be related to the feeling I started having yesterday evening.

I called my doctor's office this morning (5 hours ago) and I am waiting for a return call. I've been searching the site all day and I'm completely panicked! I can't imagine having to go through another surgery and recovery again. The only other thing that I've found that could explain the feeling is swelling, which I'm hoping it is.

The doctor told me that everything went "better than he could have expected" during the surgery. I barely get off the couch other than to go to the bathroom or to get food and drink.

Any advice, thoughts, ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Re: Full Feeling in Vagina - Is it something prolapse again?

I had a TLH with repairs 3 months ago. During my recovery I always feared that something had prolapsed again because of the full feeling. I expected the pressure to be gone, but it really took a good 6-8 weeks to finally feel normal again.

At 2 weeks post op you are still full of stitches and are swollen. Each time I saw my gynecologist and urologist during post-op visits I asked if everything was still where it was supposed to be. When they would tell me "yes" and that what I felt was normal healing, I felt so relieved!

I think that having prolapses can really traumatize us. I had a prolapsed uterus for several years, then the cystocele and rectocele followed. It's been hard to make my brain really believe that it's finally gone.

I had bleeding, spotting and discharge for weeks. Sometimes it increases a bit when you're active and/or the stitches start dissolving. That happened to me at about 3 weeks. So just take it easy, pamper yourself and try not to worry. The recovery can be a rollercoaster...up and down. But it's all worth it in the end. I am back to normal, exercising, having sex, living my life with more energy than before. It will happen for you too, but it takes time lots of patience.

I also want to add that you should check out the posts in your recovery week thread. It's so helpful to share and compare notes with others who had surgery the same week that you did.

Please let us know what you hear back from the doctor.
Sending you
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Go get it checked. I thought I had because I was coughing so bad and felt the same pressure and pain as before surgery though about half as seeing my uterus was officially out of the picture. Between the pressure and the bladder spasms, I couldn't take it anymore. I hot it checked and it was the best "peace of mind" I've had in a long time. Everything was fine. So if it is or not, you'll know and at least the worry will go away. You can focus on getting it fixed and not on just "what if." Call your doctor and get it checked out!
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM

I had my surgery just over three weeks ago and I still feel that pressure/full feeling. I went in and was checked out and was told all was great. So, after reading all of the posts on here, now know that all of this is part of the healing process for some of us. Thanks for the support everyone. :-)
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the posts. You ladies just made it a bit easier for me to sleep tonight.
I called my doctors office three times today with no response - apparently the doctor didn't get in until after 1. He doesn't work on Friday and he's on vacation all next week. I am going to call the office again tomorrow and see if I can at least be checked by a physician's assistant so I can have a little more peace of mind.

Seriously, I want you all to know how much your responses help. I've been crying most of the afternoon. Not because of pain, but because I'm scared. You've eased my mind at least somewhat and that means a lot!

Lovebirds - you are right, it's pretty traumatic to know that your organs are just falling around and out of place. I plan on taking your advice and reading more posts in the recovery weeks.

Thanks again to all!
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM

I was crying too. Freaking out and scared. Even though you might rest easier with our reassurance, you will smile again only after your doctor says "everything is just fine." I now can say with a smile that everything is "right where he left it" in spite of my hacking cough.
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

2beinformed:
Seems like I had similar surgery to you on Jan 12, and I experienced same symptoms as you are describing along with extra bleeding on day 7. I was sure my rectocele repair had let go or something, and got it checked out the next day. Everything was fine and the nurse assured me that you have to do something pretty extreme to undo what they repaired because they really stitch it well.
So don't worry, but get checked by some doctor so you can have peace of mind.
Take care, don't do anything but rest!
Unread 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Hi I too had repairs and afterwards, for months, I felt the fullness and especially after a bowel movement, I was convinced it had all prolapsed again. I went to see the Gynae several times in the first year and he told me each time that it was ok. I think the nerves send us the wrong messages or something and maybe it is swelling or whatever, but don't worry - that is what my gynae told me and don't lift or push anything heavy.
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:23 PM

I had a TAH and apogee mesh for rectocele in early December. I posted, possibly in my second or third week that I had a heavy feeling like a tampon half coming out.... I am pleased to say that I am now at the 6 week mark and back at work....the heavy feeling is less and less each day... If the feeling is too intense - put your feet up, if only for 10 minutes. That was all it took to give 'everything' a break. For ease of bowel movements I have been taking a Coloxyl once every two days.. The bottle says 2 to 3 every couple of days. Dr said straining is your worst enemy - don't do it. Hoping you feel a little better after reading this...
Unread 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM

Thanks to all you sisters! I finally talked to the nurse at my doctors office on Friday. She assured me that if there was no bleeding or discharge that nothing has fallen. I didn't have the full feeling by the time she called me on Friday, so I was ok with her response. Of course by Friday evening it was back, but I'm ok with it just being swelling.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.