HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long is recovery for da Vinci Hysterectomy? How long is recovery for da Vinci Hysterectomy?

Unread 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
How long is recovery for da Vinci Hysterectomy?

I am have the DaVinci hysterectomy do anyone know how long the recovery will be
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Re: How long is recovery for da Vinci Hysterectomy?

Hello! to HysterSisters!

I'm glad you joined and hope that you will find information that is helpful to you...and that you will enjoy spending time on this site with women who have lots of support and experiences to share.

I know there are many Sisters who have had the da Vinci surgery so it's just a matter of time before they come along to respond. Meanwhile, you might find it helpful to read some of their stories from this no-reply area of the site: Our Hysterectomy Stories.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM

This is kind of a hard question to answer because it seems to be so different for each person. I think age has some role in this too. So let me say that I am 60 and had my surgery 4 weeks ago. For me 4 weeks is the big turn around. I am feeling really good and the last few days have started to do quite a bit and gone out a lot more and still feel really good. I'm still careful to rest and I have 2 more weeks until I go back to work. I know my Dr said that she has ladies that go back to work at week 2 and the average is 4. I did have a small set back at week 2 so opted to stay out 6 weeks. While I still have weight lifting restrictions, no sex or vacuuming, life is really starting to feel good.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM

My Gyn, who's preformed some of the highest amounts of Davinci's in the country as well as teaches the procedure, is telling me this will affect me no more than my Lapo for my appanedix. She is saying a few days to a week of soreness, a week to drive, 6-8 weeks for sex. Bruised feeling could last two weeks.

I know after my appendix I felt gut punched for 3 days. Getting out of bed was very hard. Riding in the car made me throw up. In fact I didn't make it home from the hopital without DH pulling over... I never had any problems with painful bowels and was totally normal feeling within two weeks. In fact the worst pain I can remember was REMOVING THE TAPE over the incisions...I was in tears.

Keep in mind though, apparently I have the pain tolerance of an elephant. I've had not symptoms other than some fatigue and a bladder infection from this enourmous uterus.

All this said, I really hope that it's as smooth sailing as my past experience, and as she says. I'm keeping my ovaries, losing the cervix and uterus, which she takes out vaginally using the Davinci system. Less cuts this way, less down time, less stomach pain.

i'm just going in positive......after several days of freakouts and anger
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Bummedoutblonde: Your Dr seems to be close to a lot of what my Dr said. I will say that the worse pain I had was lower back which lasted 3 days and the anesthesiologist said that I would have that. I was nauseous in the hospital and got something for that. Which I had taken it before the ride home! I needed the Percocet for 3 days and then a couple of days of the 800mg Motrin (at times). My first nite home I slept on the couch because I could be half propped up and after that, in bed was fine and I was on my stomach at nite 4. Could go up and down stairs, get up and down from couch and bed no problem from the get go. Sides bothered me a little for about 8 days (not bad) and after day 5 was awake all day. The incision area itched a little but I had glue and it was off about week 2. Washed off and scabs gone week 3. I felt ready to drive at week 2. I know others said it was earlier for them. I really did not have stomach pain other than not hungry for a while. That is unfortunately returning!
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM

2 weeks according to my doc. He says his nurse had the surgery done and was ready to be back at 2 weeks. That is NOT my plan. I will be home for 4 weeks.
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm 2 weeks out, and it's been easy, but I have been taking it easy. No percoset since I've been home. Took Ibuprofen for 3 days after I got home. No, walking hunched over at all. They had me walking the halls about 5 hours after I woke from surgery. I was cleared to drive 5 days out, and for work at 1 week. I waited to drive for about 10 days, and I work from home, and just got work sent last night. I went grocery shopping yesterday by myself (didn't carry bags) yesterday. Picked up kids, did some light picking up, made dinner. I did have some pain yesterday, from doing to much.
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM

It's different for everyone. I am 18 days post op and 64 years old. I'm thinking age is a factor as I am not snapping back as quickly as some that I read here. I am doing well, but it's slow going. I will be using a full six weeks of recovery time before I return to work. Even though I am moving around and doing more than I possibly could right after surgery, I'm not rushing it.

I read somewhere here that we only get one chance to recover, so take it easy. Another wrote, "pamper the princess". I loved that one. I'm going at my own pace as we all should. Don't let others make you feel bad if you're not ready to snap back after two weeks. I had a set back at two weeks. It's an individual process. Be kind and gentle with yourself.
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM

I had my Da Vinci surgery last Monday. Weaning myself off the Ultram but taking Ibuprofen as needed. Two sets of friends came to visit on Sunday and I found that I slept a lot yesterday, even though I had only taken the Ibuprofen. The pain is not bad at all - it feels like I have been doing a lot of sit-ups on the fitness ball and my stomach is tight. I have been moving around but careful not to reach or bend too much. My surgeon said I should be able to get back to work in 4 weeks but as my job is very demanding, I think I am going to go back in 6 weeks so as not to overdo it.
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM

I had my daVinci on Nov. 12 and was back at my desk, 40 hrs week, on Dec. 6. I visited work immediately after leaving the surgeon's office from a visit in late November - I was so delighted to be okayed to return to work on the 6th I took the paperwork directly to HR.

That's not to say I didn't tire easily (I did) and sleep more (I found myself resting on the sofa after work and going to bed earlier)...don't overdo it. No vacuuming, no lifting (more than a gallon of milk, I was told) for 12 weeks.

It's nearly 12 weeks now and I am not physically tired like I was...except for some itchy (which means healing) little incision sites, I feel far far better than I have for years. I'm in my mid-40s.

Excellent decision and outcome for me - and I wish you the same!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.