HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Losing hair from carboplatin and paclitaxel Losing hair from carboplatin and paclitaxel

Unread 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Losing hair from carboplatin and paclitaxel

I lost my hair 2 weeks ago. I now am developing a red rash and spots here and there. I did not shave it just let it come out. Should I use something on it?? I actually have kept some of it.
Thanks
Unread 02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Re: Losing hair from carboplatin and paclitaxel

When my hair fell out, I got lots of red bumps and some pimples on my scalp and it would get dry and itchy sometimes. I tried various things - washing with a gentle shampoo, washing with dandruff shampoo, washing with bath soap or shower gel, or just rinsing with water. Scrubbing gently with a rough wash cloth seemed to help the most. When the skin got dry, I just put my regular Vaseline hydrating lotion on it. That helped.

I had a few stray hairs here and there that never did fall out.

How is chemo going?
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM

hi thanks for your letter. I guess I am par for the course!! It doesn't bother me, my husband noticed it.
I had second chemo a week ago. Now 2 more!!! I believe you had 6, I will only have 4. This time I had muscle aches in my knees etc. It is aiot better now. I will be glad when it is over.
How is your hair coming and how do you feel?? I know you must be glad to have it over.
Unread 02-04-2011, 12:40 AM

The funny thing is, the hair on my arms and legs used to be mostly blond and it's growing in dark and thick. Right now, the hair on my legs is longer than the hair on my head.

The hair on my head is just now getting long enough that I need to comb it. Other than that, I'm having some problems with neuropathy (pain in ankles and other joints, numbness and tingling in arms). I'm hoping that will gradually go away.

I have my first follow up with chemo doc on Monday.
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Grandmabayne,
Before my hair fell out the hairdresser who helped me order a wig suggested using virgin olive oil on my scalp overnight. She said that there was a significant difference in how fast it grew back for those who used it. I am not sure it grew back any faster but it did help with the itching and red bumps! Now, 7 weeks post treatment, the hair on my chin is competing with the hair on my head for length and strength! And weirdly enough, all my new hair sticks straight out, all of it. It means that I have a fuzzy glow all around my head, including the sides of my face! Strange but fun. I am hoping that it calms down soon though....

Iowacatlover,
I found waiting for that appointment almost as hard as waiting for the initial surgery! But the reslut was much more pleasant, this time anyway! Good luck with your appointment on Monday. And goodluck with the neuropathy. Mine has retreated to much smaller areas in my feet and much less present in my hands. I'll be thiniking of you and hoping it fades soon!

Peace!
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Heartwood, I've got the fuzz on the side of my face too and I'm getting quite a mustache - at least my facial hair is blonde so not that noticeable. It's really funny though. I bought some wax and some Nair to take it off but I keep delaying. I'm afraid my skin might be more sensitive than it used to be.

I finished chemo 4 months ago, but it's only 7 weeks since I finished rad.

I just posted pictures of my hair on my blog. (link in my profile)
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM

I saved all my hair, I had it all braided into corn braids and then when they fell out I saved them and made a wig.
It turned out that it gave me a headache, but it was nice to have all my hair.
Now, I am to the ponytail part and each step in all of this means so much to me.
Best wishes in your treatments, a year from now this will all be a hazy memory

Janet
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:06 PM

I wish I had thought to braid mine. I just put the clumps in a gallon ziplock bag. I don't even know why I'm keeping it. It got dry and brittle before it fell out so it's not even like my hair really was.
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM

When I first found out I had cancer and knew there was a possibiliy of chemo, I went to the hair dresser (older woman at Great Clips) and we discussed shaving my head if my hair started coming out to avoid a big mess. But she also recommended a specific shampoo and conditioner that she said to use twice a day because it would both prevent skin problems and promote hair growth and good hair texture when it started growing back. I don't know which the products were, but maybe someone with a bunch of chemo/rad customer experience at a good Great Clips could help.
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM

THe red bumps do go away, its just your head getting used to being bald.
I think part of it is also related to the process that makes it fall out in the first place, the chemo's effect on the hair root.
I found keeping it covered and clean (it was funny, but it took me awhile to get into the habit of washing my head), made the bumps go away.
and yes moisturizer if it is dry will also help.
My chemo's were 3 weeks apart and towards the end my hair started growing again each cycle only to fall out again.
but the bumps were only at the beginning
janet

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.