HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Taking out fallopian tubes but leaving ovaries Taking out fallopian tubes but leaving ovaries

Unread 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Taking out fallopian tubes but leaving ovaries

Hi. I have adenomyosis and told I need to get a hysterectomy. My doctor wants to take out my uterus and fallopian tubes. The cervix is up to me. She said the fallopian tubes are not needed to sustain the ovaries. Is this common? Has anyone had their fallopian tubes removed and kept their ovaries? I'm working on a 2nd opinion soon.
Thanks for all your support. This web site has been so helpful!
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Re: Taking out fallopian tubes but leaving ovaries

The current thinking is that most ovarian cancer begins in the fallopian tubes so if they take those out, it greatly reduces the chances of developing that particular kind of cancer. From what I have read, it isn't common, but it is the latest information out there.
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Re: Taking out fallopian tubes but leaving ovaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseekerinaz View Post
Hi. I have adenomyosis and told I need to get a hysterectomy. My doctor wants to take out my uterus and fallopian tubes. The cervix is up to me. She said the fallopian tubes are not needed to sustain the ovaries. Is this common? Has anyone had their fallopian tubes removed and kept their ovaries? I'm working on a 2nd opinion soon.
Thanks for all your support. This web site has been so helpful!
The cons of leaving the cervix is that it is technically part of the uterus and could be affected by adeno too. Mini-periods are also a concern. I wanted to leave mine but I decided on the least invasive surgery- a vaginal hysterectomy, and they must always take the cervix during that type of surgery.

You need to weigh the risk of ovarian cancer versus the risk of heart disease. Cancer has only occurred in my family, on either side, in one person in several generations. Nearly everyone ends up with some form of heart disease or stroke in their elderly years. So I opted to leave the ovaries if at all possible. They will continue to produce beneficial hormones for a very long time even after menopause.

But, if heart disease is rare in your family but cancer occurs in many relatives, it may be a greater risk to leave them.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.