HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Change in breast tissue, lump - 4mon Post-op Change in breast tissue, lump - 4mon Post-op

Unread 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Change in breast tissue, lump - 4mon Post-op

Hello!
I had my hysterectomy on October 15, and kept my ovaries. The surgery was done through the abdomen, since they tried to do it laprostopically and were unable to.

Since the surgery, recovery has been well overall. It has been about 4 months, and I feel great. I did some snow shoveling yesterday and seemed to pull a muscle in my stomach, but that's normal : )

Has anyone experienced a change in their breast tissue after the surgery? About a month ago I was doing a self-exam and felt a lump in breast tissue near the armpit area. I had never felt it before. My doctor thought it was normal change of breast tissue, but sent me to a surgeon just in case. Today the surgeon found two more and said it could be normal breast tissue, but it could be the lymphnode. It they haven't changed or softened in three weeks, a bioposy will be done. There is no breast cancer history in my family. Did anyone else experience a change or hardening of thier breast tissue or is it just me?

Thanks,
Jess
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Re: Change in breast tissue, lump - 4mon Post-op

I had a change in my breasts after my hysterectomy. My breasts had been extremely painful and I assumed it was fluctuating hormones, although it had been years since I had had cyclical breast changes. I also noticed my breasts were larger (as did others), specifically the outer area of one breast - it actually spilled over the cup of my bra. I mentioned this to my physician and asked if it was normal that breast size increased after surgery and got one of "those" looks. My first mammogram was scheduled for the next month so I figured if there was a problem it would pick it up. Well after numerous mammogram views, ultrasounds, and a breast MRI it was decided that there was an area of asymmetry with a lymph node. Unfortunately this was my baseline mammogram so there was nothing to compare it to. Repeat testing at 6 mths showed no change and I have a one year comparison scheduled.
I definitely did not have this area before the surgery. I still believe a change in hormones caused an increase in breast tissue.
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM

I don't think it's uncommon for women to experience an increase in breast size after hysterectomy, especially with HRT. My mother did, and so did some of my friends. Not, me because I'm in menopause and not taking any hormones.
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

no changes here that I have noticed. I am 7.5 months post op taking HRT. Sounds like you are on the right track in checking things out. Hope it all turns out to be nothing!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway