HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

body temperature changes body temperature changes

Unread 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
body temperature changes

I'm not sure where to post this as I think it might be more menopause related but might be cancer treatment related. *shrug* I figured all of my awesome friends here might be able to provide personal stories so I thought I would start in this forum.

Yesterday I was feeling under the weather but not terribly so. My body felt warm to the tough so I decided to take my temp. My hands were not cold so I know I wasn't imaginging things. I took my temperature and it came back 96.5. I tested it using 3 different thermometers.

I've always had a normal body temperature lower than the average of 98.6. Mine has always been 97.8 (at least prior to cancer and going into menopause).

So to those of you who were thrust into menopause as a result of surgery, what are your findings as far as how it affected your body temperature?
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Re: body temperature changes

My body temp has always stayed around 96.5 or so. The only time it changed was it went up when I had a bladder infection right after surgery.

I had lots of hot flashes the first several months but I don't think I ever checked my temp during one. I lost my hair from chemo - now that it's winter, I have to wear a cap most of the time to stay warm. I still get an occasional hot flash, so I can go from chilly to sweaty in a manner of seconds.
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Mine changed. Used to be around 98.2 but ever since my surgery, it's been 97.7.

My problem is remembering to tell any new doctors or nurses when I see them that my temp is below normal and that if it shows up as 98.2 or above, it means I have a fever.

Hugs!
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM

My temp always ran low, 97.8. If I got sick it generally dropped to 96.something. Now it seems like it stays right around 98.8, yet I am ALWAYS cold!
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:20 PM

My temp always ran 97.0-97.2, except right after waking or if I were out in the cold and got chilled, in which case it ran between 93.4 and 94. Since surgery, it's been running between 93.4 and 94, except when I've been sick with sinus infection/flu/UTI (it's been a bad week-plus, especially since I still had to work). Even with the fever, my temp only hit 100.3 that I know of, but I felt like I used to when my temp was over 102.

I don't know if the body temp change is surgery-related or not, but I know in my case it has nothing to do with menopause, since I was already years past menopause when I had my surgery. But since before my diagnosis in November 2010, I've stopped taking all vitamins except cranberry, and one that I used to take was Evening Primrose Oil, which is a phyto-estrogen (I can never take this again).

Body temp is regulated by the thyroid and I've seen a lot of Systers posting about post-op thyroid...and thyroid hormones do work closely with estrogen...

I don't care that my body temp is lower than it used to be... it's simply the new normal for me. I just need to make sure I tell everyone that works on me and there is a note on my emergency sheet at work. And for years, my bathroom and portable first aid kit thermometers have both been ovulation prediction models because regular ones don't register seriously subnormal temperatures.
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:34 AM

Perhaps a thyroid check is in order? My temp runs lower than average too, and I was told it was from being hypothyroid.
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks ladies! I will definitely ask the Dr at my next appointment. Thyroid and endocrine issues run in my family so this very well could be the cuplrit!
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I have low thyroid and was already on Rx for it before surgery. Maybe that's why my temp didn't change like others did.
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Absolutely, low body temperature can be a sign of hypothyroidism, but it can be linked to being post-menopausal as well.

For women who still ovulate who do not take the Pill, from the time your period starts until the time you ovulate, body temps are low--in the low 97's typically. After ovulation, your body puts out progesterone and this causes the temperature to rise into the 98's. Body temp drops again when menstruation begins. As you are entering menopause, your body produces less progesterone so body temp can be lower. Mine is. I'm not sure I'm actually all the way through menopause yet, but I know I'm on the path--I had my FSH levels checked a few months ago.

So, I guess if you're worried about your body temp, talk to your doc about it and make sure there's no follow up testing that should be done.
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:39 AM

This is such an interesting discussion. My body temp has always been lower than 98.6 Never once have I heard a doctor explain any of what has been discussed here... Checking thyroid levels, lack of progesterone...etc. (Even the female md's never said anything.)
Thanks for the info.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.