HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Leaking stool....rectocele???? Leaking stool....rectocele????

Unread 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Leaking stool....rectocele????

I had a TVH almost 3 months ago. I have not had a "normal" day since. My husband and I have never had intamacy issues before the surgery. We have only had sex 3 times and it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I often feel a heavyness in my pelvic area and my vaginal area is always irritated/sore. For the last couple weeks I have been leaking stool when I walk or cough. I always feel like I have to poop or there is more there that won't come out. This may be TMI but my poop is also very narrow. In addition to avoiding sex because of the uncomfortablness, now I'm afraid I will poop during it. Could this be a rectocele???? I have an appointment with my doctor later this month but I would like some advice or answers sooner.

Thanks!
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Re: Leaking stool....rectocele????

It could be a rectocele. Mine is quite large and really low. I also have the feeling of constantly having to go. In my case the stool gets trapped in the rectocele, gas gets trapped as well and it feels like a small balloon between my legs. Sex is getting a little more uncomfortable as there is alot of loose tissue and when there is anything trapped inside I am also scared of it being pushed out. It helps a little to reduce the bulge from the inside if you know what I mean. Not very nice to do, but at least it helps a little. Ido not have any leakage though, so there might be a sphincter issue in your case? But it might also just be the rectocele causing that. Keep us posted on what the dr says!
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:46 AM

could also be a fistula, i would ask about that possibility, let us know how your appt goes
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:47 AM

also ask for an estrogen cream to give your V some lubrication, mine was very dried out from surgery despite the fact of keeping my ovaries, cream has done wonders
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:38 PM

It's been a long time since I started this thread and so much more has happened.....The doctor said that I was leaking stool because I had muscle damage from the delivery of my children. With all 3 of them I tore all the way back to my anus. The muscle between my anus and my vagina was split so I had to have surgery to correct it. During the surgery in was discovered that I had a very small rectovaginal fistula as well. The first 2 days went well, with the help of diladid in a pump at the hospital, but once I got home and had my first BM things went down hill. It was "stuck" and would not budge! After some time (like a few hours...ouch!) it finally passed and I thought things were better. A few days later I was in horrible pain and had so much pressure I could hardly walk. The doctor had me come in right away. Long story short, I had an absess/infection in my perineum and he had to undo a stitch and drain it....OUCH! He gave me a shot of antibiotic and then sent me home with more antibiotics. I had a lot of drainage from the infection but soon saw more than the infection coming out. I was leaking poop from this new opening. The doctor confirmed this at my next visit and now I am waiting another few weeks for the tissue to heal before he refers me to another surgeon to repair the fistula.

So that brings me to today....I am left with a rash from the constant leaking from this new hole, a possible yeast infection, AND I think now it is exiting my vagina as well. And all of this started with a hysterectomy last November because of heavy, irregular bleeding most days of the month. I would give anything for THAT to be my issue now. Now I don't want to leave the house because I am afraid I will leak through my clothing or smell. Or that the uncontrolable gas I pass through the fistula will be loud and someone will hear. Not to mention that when I do go out I have to bring a squirt bottle, wet wipes, diaper rash cream, and pads with me just in case I have to use the restroom! I don't go out much.... I just can't believe this is happening. I just want my life back.

Sorry for unloading on you all but this isn't the type of thing I can discuss with my husband or my friends...
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM

i am glad you have here to unload, i understand about not having anyone to talk with, i am glad we are here for you, if you need someone to talk with, even though i am not going through what you are going through i wouldn't mind being a support person for you
Unread 05-03-2011, 05:18 AM

This sounds like something my friend went through not long after she had her son a couple of years ago, she had years of problems before the finally figured out what was going on and they finally operated and sorted it out, she had surgery to correct, had to use a colostomy bag for a very short time while the surgery healed but she said it was well worth it and now 12 months on she is great and has no issues at all.

Good luck to you.
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Thank you, Laurieinwa, for your kind response and Tituba for sharing the encouraging story of your friends experience. I'm doing a little better mentaly today I think. The doctor called in diflucan for the yeast infection so soon I will be a little more comfortable.

tituba, do you know if a colostomy is always needed in these surgeries? Or was your friends case more severe?

Thanks again, Ladies! It's nice to know I have somewhere to talk without the worry of making anyone feel uncomfortabe with the topic.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.