HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No Ovaries - Don't Want to Take Estradiol No Ovaries - Don't Want to Take Estradiol

Unread 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
No Ovaries - Don't Want to Take Estradiol

Is it possible to go without estradiol if you don't have ovaries? I tried it a week and couldn't speak and had horrible brain fog. .5 mg estradiol seemed to help at first but after 6 months, the brain fog won't go away. If I up the dose of estradiol, it doesn't help and just makes me feel completely toxic and worse. I stayed at .75 for a while and just went back to .5 to see if there was a change. I would rather not take anything if I could get away with it, but the brain fog thing is killing me. I don't have hot flashes - I'm cold. All of my labs are normal. I felt better with my estradiol level at 30 than I did at 40. I could handle hot flashes . . . can't handle feeling like I had a stroke. All doctors I go to hate progesterone. I absolutely cannot sleep. They keep telling me to increase estradiol but that makes insomnia worse and I feel like my brain is on acid. What can you do for sleep and brain fog that doesn't make you fat and isn't addictive?
Unread 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Re: No Ovaries - Don't Want to Take Estradiol

What you are describing happened to me when my estrogen was too low. I was having those experiences when my estrogen was at 65. I upped estrogen and am feeling much better.
I hope you figure things out and start feeling better soon.
Amy
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi NeedSomeSleep!

I could have named myself that the year after my surgery!

Yes, it's possible, but not likely that you could go without estrogen even with no ovaries. Some women, especially our "fluffier" sisters can manage it because their adrenals and body fat can make enough on their own.

It could be that the straight estradiol is too active and harsh for you, it's like that for some women. I went through many forms/doses of estradiol over the years and found that I feel more like myself (and I'm sleeping, too!) on Enjuvia, which is a synthetic estrogen that is mostly estrone, a less active form. If your doctor is into bioidenticals, you might get him to prescribe biest, a mix of a little estradiol and estriol, an even less active form.

Or, you could buy some progesterone cream OTC and just try it. I know, I know, your DRs don't like it, but they're not the ones who can't sleep. And you can always stop using it if it doesn't help. Progesterone just made me feel worse, but as you've no doubt read here before, we're all different.

Don't give up. You have lots of options

Maddie
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM

hi You almost sound like me. It will be four years and still confused what to do. I hope joining here I might get some insight into other ways to understand all of this.
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Hi. Have you considered a different delivery method? I had a lot of issues with oral estradiol as well. I also felt that "toxic" feeling. Every part of me hurt down to the bone an I just felt ill. Why not consider a patch or a vaginal ring or gel or spray mist like Evamist. There are so many choices. Talk to your doctor about it. Good luck. I know how tough it is.
Unread 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks, I'm on the patch. Today felt like a PMS day all I've done is eat chocolate. Ugggggghhh!
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks everyone. I have tried different forms of estradiol . . . gel, pills, patch . . . all of them make me feel poisoned. I cannot get above .75 on my dose. I tried dropping it recently to see if that would help because I was always freezing but it didn't help. All endocrine lab results are normal. My estradiol is aroun 40. I almost felt better at 30 so that is why I tried dropping it but then I get the songs on my head and can't sleep even more now. I never get hot flashes . . . only cold. I'm curious the dose that you all are on and when you take it (am or pm)? What sleep meds work for you? Does melatonin do anything? Valium 5 mg. will put me to sleep but 3 hours later, I'm awake. I can't handle the constant songs in my head. If I could sleep and get rid of the songs, I could handle the other symptoms. I was just thinking I was going to have hot flashes . . . I didn't expect all of this. It's been over 6 months and nothing is getting any better.
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm curious what thyroid labs your dr ran - did he/she only test TSH? If so, that is not an accurate picture of your thyroid function... Do you have copies of the test results (ALWAYS ask for a copy for your file)... many times drs will say everything is fine, in range, but you may be at the outer part of the range, and this is helpful to know, as comparing with future bloodwork results, you can see if you're going up or down, thereby giving you a forecast of things to come...

I take my estrogen twice/day, morning and night, but I also use progesterone at night only, and I am on thyroid meds too.

Perhaps you need some progesterone to balance the estrogen... ? What does your dr say about that? If your dr is against progesterone, what about a 2nd opinon/NEW DOCTOR? We all have fired drs who do not listen to our symptoms and have one solution they always offer which is not working... ... just a thought..
Unread 02-13-2011, 03:55 PM

I need estrogen plus progesterone to STAY asleep.

I had a hx of insomnia for at least 2-3 yrs after my hyster. I used trazadone to sleep during those times. Used melatonin...didn't really help.
What I use now is Femring 0.1mg, plus supplement with estrogel few times a day when needed, compounded progesterone cream 30mg at night, and compounded testosterone 0.1mg 1gm per day. I take magnesium 400mg at night to help sleep too.

What I learned is my estrogen needs to be "good" in order to sleep unfragmented but I also need progesterone to balance out a good night sleep. I can't do one without the other. If I do wake up it is because my estrogen is too low. I'll wake up sweaty. If I do wake up it's usually 4 am-ish and I will add a tiny pea size of estrogel and fall right back to sleep until 8 am. It works for me.

A book on hrt, "Screaming To Be Heard", by Elizabeth Vliet MD has on great ch on sleep. Helped me immensely.

Good luck ...if you get the sleep under control everything will be easier to handle.
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeSleep View Post
Thanks everyone. I have tried different forms of estradiol . . . gel, pills, patch . . . all of them make me feel poisoned. I cannot get above .75 on my dose. I tried dropping it recently to see if that would help because I was always freezing but it didn't help. All endocrine lab results are normal. My estradiol is aroun 40. I almost felt better at 30 so that is why I tried dropping it but then I get the songs on my head and can't sleep even more now. I never get hot flashes . . . only cold. I'm curious the dose that you all are on and when you take it (am or pm)? What sleep meds work for you? Does melatonin do anything? Valium 5 mg. will put me to sleep but 3 hours later, I'm awake. I can't handle the constant songs in my head. If I could sleep and get rid of the songs, I could handle the other symptoms. I was just thinking I was going to have hot flashes . . . I didn't expect all of this. It's been over 6 months and nothing is getting any better.
I can't help you much since I just started on .25. I did feel like a truck run over me the first two days and with a migraine which I haven't gotten since the surgery. And my allergies kicked in. (I feel better today)

I do take clonazapam for anxiety and if I take it late enough it will help me sleep through the night.

I have the opposite usually I'm cold but now not night sweats but hot flashes especially around my neck.

What is the regular estrogen level suppose to be? I'm waiting for my blood test. My Dr. was against progesterone.

I wish you luck and let me know if you get any relief.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.