HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does anyone 'lose' weight after a hysterectomy for severe endo? Does anyone 'lose' weight after a hysterectomy for severe endo?

Unread 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Does anyone 'lose' weight after a hysterectomy for severe endo?

I keep hearing all of these stories about women putting on all this weight after a partial hysterectomy. It's all over internet searches..

I've known two women my age who've had a hysterectomy for endo and have actually lost over 20 pounds.

Does anyone else out there have a similar story??
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Re: Does anyone 'lose' weight after a hysterectomy for severe endo?

Everyone is different. Some can lose weight, but for me...I gained the weight. I had a high metabolism before the surgery. It all came on slowly through the years. I have gained about 30 lbs since 2001 when I had my hyster surgery.
But I have had like 10 surgeries in between and broke my ankle so severely that it effects my everyday activities...so exercise has not been a number one issue lately.
Don't worry, whatever happens...you and your Dr will be able to work through it. If this surgery helps with the pain...it will be worth it.
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:30 PM

Weight issues related to a hysterctomy tend to be more related to those who also have an oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) and subsequent challenges with HRT.

I had a complete hysterectomy--my cervix was also affected just like the rest of my uterus so the whole thing had to be removed. But I kept both of my ovaries. Because of initial complications, my weight did drop. However, once we got me back on my feet, my weight went back to what it had always been since I was about 16.

I did lose some weight again years later because of living in constant pain, some of it from endometriosis. Once the daily pain was alleviated, I went back to my normal weight again.

Unread 02-14-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesfuel View Post
I keep hearing all of these stories about women putting on all this weight after a partial hysterectomy. It's all over internet searches..

I've known two women my age who've had a hysterectomy for endo and have actually lost over 20 pounds.

Does anyone else out there have a similar story??
Hello Julesfuel,

I just want to share my story. I had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed but kept my cervix. What I have been doing since my surgery (I am determined to lose my 25 lbs) is walk walk walk... . for as long as I can. Tues will be week 3 and I have lost 5 lbs so far. I found this website called sparkpeople.com its awesome. You input the foods you eat and it will calculate for you where you need to eat less or more protein. it has been very effective for me so far. I highly recommend it to everyone who trying to make this their new start on feeling better and getting on with the new life. I want to be able to lose another 5 lbs before I go back to work..... Here is hoping it helps others..

and dont forget...... drink lots of water. It helps keep you regulated as well....
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Thanks everyone. It's the whole mental game I think I'm going through were I'm afraid to loose my 'uterus' and feel less 'feminine' and at the same time fear 'weight gain' will make me feel even worse!!!

Why is this decision so hard!! LOL.
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Hi julesfuel - I know exactly what you mean! I was terrified of putting on weight, as everywhere I went I heard that EVERYBODY gains weight after a hysterectomy.
It may be a bit soon to tell but I'm 4 weeks post op and haven't gained a thing. Not sure if the fact that I kept my overies makes a difference, but I'm eating the same as before and not even going to the gym at this stage (which I was before).
I friend of mine actually lost quite a bit of weight after hers as she then only started exercising and eating healthy. So there is hope
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Blondie40, thanks for the message.

You are 4 weeks out from your surgery. Do you feel better? Aside from not being able to work out, etc..?

God, I hope if I do this I feel better!!!

Unread 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Aside from a bit of pain if I do too much, I'm feeling fine.
The first week was the worst pain, but after that I felt better with each day. Some days I even wake up feeling good enough to go for a workout - but won't dare take a chance yet as I may pull stitches or something!

Two days ago I spent 3 hours walking around a shopping mall and was in a bit of pain that evening, but all good again the next day. Guess I just have to build up my stamina with walking a little more each day, instead of doing it all in one day

Everybody is different but I believe if you have a positive mindset about this it goes a long way to a good recovery. So try not to stress too much, you will be fine!
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:45 AM

Hi,
I returned to my good weight, all clothes fitting after my hyster (kept ovaries). I was so surprised! (and happy too). I haven't been able to exercise as much, due to IC pain and fatigue from work (I teach high school). I think I could be in my best shape ever, as soon as I get my workouts in on a regular basis! Right now, sleep is my priority.
Leslie
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Hello. I had a complete hysterectomy and also have endometriosis on Feb 14th. I have lost 17 pounds. I was not overweight. Good luck

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.