HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

day 6 robotic hysterectomy day 6 robotic hysterectomy

Unread 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
day 6 robotic hysterectomy

Hysterectomy done Fri 2/11/11 at 1030 to remove uterus & right ovary & tube & cervix. History of painful cysts & endometriosis. Wondering how I should be feeling. Dr prescribed Dilaudid & said to take 200-800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hrs & gas x. Dilaudid is too strong, giving me headaches. Have been taking Percocet & Advil every 6 hrs. I'm so tired. A little light headed. Bowels are sore but been having movements due to magnesium supplement. Still a little sore from gas. Obviously sore from surgery. I've suffered from a DVT in the past so I'm on Lovenox. Scared of pulmonary embolism. I've also got a 17 month old daughter & not a lot of help. Have been holding her since day 3. Am I over doing it? Shouldn't my energy level be getting better? I would like to stop the narcotics, but when I take it I feel great for about an hour or 2 then I crash hard. I think I'm a little overwhelmed...& very impatient. I welcome any advise.
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Re: day 6 robotic hysterectomy

Hi Stephhoyes, So glad to see you on this side of surgery!! You didn't mention what kind of hyst you had (TAH, LVAH, etc) I had DaVinci hyst exactly 1 month before you on Jan. 11. The first week of recovery was really the toughest on me with gas pain/bowel issues and a pain in the lower left incision site. Week 2 did see some progress in more energy, less pain etc. I had an easier time though because I have no children at home. I never had to take any percocet at home either, only the 800 (sometimes 400)mg of Ibuprofin was all I needed. The only thing I wish I had done was get a belly binder! If you don't have one and can, I encourage you to do so. Also in the blue bar that goes across the top of this page you will find a link called "Hysterectomy checkpoints" that will help you know what to expect at any point in your recovery. Sending cyber hugs and best wishes!
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM
day 6 robotic hysterectomy

Thank you so much for your reply. I had a robotic laproscopic hysterectomy. Da vinci.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by ccharspen View Post
Hi Stephhoyes, So glad to see you on this side of surgery!! You didn't mention what kind of hyst you had (TAH, LVAH, etc) I had DaVinci hyst exactly 1 month before you on Jan. 11. The first week of recovery was really the toughest on me with gas pain/bowel issues and a pain in the lower left incision site. Week 2 did see some progress in more energy, less pain etc. I had an easier time though because I have no children at home. I never had to take any percocet at home either, only the 800 (sometimes 400)mg of Ibuprofin was all I needed. The only thing I wish I had done was get a belly binder! If you don't have one and can, I encourage you to do so. Also in the blue bar that goes across the top of this page you will find a link called "Hysterectomy checkpoints" that will help you know what to expect at any point in your recovery. Sending cyber hugs and best wishes!
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM

On 2/10, I had a da Vinci assisted total vaginal hysterectomy/BSO (ovaries, tubes, cervix - everything was taken) with a surprise appendectomy thrown in due to the appendix being glued to an ovary with endometriosis and scarring. I'm still taking some Percocet for pain, mostly at night, and I'm exhausted and a little light-headed anytime I move much at all. Lots of trouble with nausea, which I take Zofran for, and which might be related to the tremendous amount of gas I've had.

I overdid it night before last trying to wash a baking dish and sat down too hard on the couch by accident last night. That was extremely painful and re-started up some minor spotting, which had stopped the day before. I don't have small children as mine are grown (20 and 17), and I can't even imagine trying to keep up with a toddler. My post-op instructions say no lifting over 5 pounds until seen by MD, which for me isn't until the 25th of February. If you can call in any more help at all, I'd highly recommend it. It's really important not to overdo it too much. You don't want to end up back in the hospital.
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks so much. I definitely have done a lot more than you. I had to go to the hosp with my daughter on day 3 because of a head trauma. She ended up fine, but I over did it. I've done laundry, made chicken salad, dress my girl, change my girl, rock her to sleep.... I just don't have any other option. My husband is awesome help when he's home. My daughter is pretty good at tolerating mommy sitting on the couch. She keeps trying to kiss my boo boos... I just sleep when she sleeps. Never had much bleeding. The 1st day I had more of a serem than blood & it was hardly any. Nothing like a cycle & no spots of red blood at all. I feel much better when I take a percocet. I'm just trying to take them no more than every 8 hrs or so. My bowels feel better than they did this morning after a movement. I do still feel the gas a little. Not much of an appetite. XOXO to all of you going through this. Recovery sucks. I'm not a very patient person & I can't hardly stand being stuck in my house. My babe & I are very active. However, I can not wait to be pain free!! The end result will be worth it , right?
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:48 PM

hi all,

i was reading a liitle today and noticed your surgery dates, i too had Da Vinci on 2/14/11,everything gone uterus cervix ovarys and tubes. i am trying my best to not over do it, fortunately my children are grown 16 & 22. ask for help if you can, it will make your recovery easier. best of health to all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.