HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Belly Button incision Belly Button incision

Unread 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Belly Button incision

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy and they put one of the incision directly in my belly button.. its been 7 days and its still oozing a clear liquid with a tad of pink that gets crusty// I wash with warm water and antibacterial soap and try to keep it dry.. should this still be happening this far after surgery??
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Re: Belly Button incision

They used the "surgical glue". Mine never did ooze.
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:35 AM

I am 4 weeks post-op and mine still isn't healed either. I had stitches poking out through the skin and I even pulled some of them out. My doctor told me that if they stayed out and weren't absorbed by my body that she was going to remove them herself by pulling them out, but they annoyed me so much I ended up doing it myself. I keep the area clean and dry as much as possible. I use medicated bandaids on it whenever it starts to look open or oozy.
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:34 AM

i was so lucky with mine, i never had any problems with my belly button incision the stitches fel out 2 week. i did have trouble with the incisions on either side of my stomach. they got an infection and i had to have antibiotics and cream for them. but when i was about 2 weeks post op i felt them go ping and i pulled them out after that i had no problem with them, i have been very lucky.
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:02 AM

7 days is not that far post op...so unless you are having a bad smell, it is warm or extreemly tender to the touch, you feel like you are coming down with something and/or are running a fever, I would give it a bit more time.

However, if you are concerned, give your doctors office a quick call...
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes just watch for infection. Mine was gaping open due to allergic reaction to glue until 4.5 weeks.
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM

My concern today is about stitches as well. I removed the band-aides yesterday and used peroxide as directed. This morning I finally got the nerve to pull off the medical tape so I could clean the incisions better and all of my incisions have opened up/pulled apart. On one of the side ones the underlying tissue can be seen. I dabbed them with peroxide which stung. I don't see any oozing yet so I may just put some neosporin and band-aides back on before calling the doctor because if she wants me to come in I won't have any way to get there because my husband had to go help his dad for a few hrs. His parents are "old school" and think I should be back to work and don't need the 6 weeks off the doc is requring...but that is a whole other subject..
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:57 AM

I agree with love the ocean
it is still early I also had a LSH my belly button also so leaked some clear and pink stuff. I ask my Dr he said it was fine. I'm now 4 weeks post op and the glue is gone and it looks good it's still a little itchy some pulling ect... It's all normal healing stuff. If your worried call your dr.
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM

It is always wise to check with your doctor before applying any type of medicine to your wound. Each doctor can have a different procedure he prefers when dealing with incisions, etc...

Hope all of your incisions close up and heal soon... :-)
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM

I had my surgery on July 20 its been three weeks , everything looks good yet my belly botton incision stiches are covered with glued in first two week blood started to seeping out from the glued area not too much but enought to be concerend about also I kept getting liquid inside the belly botton not colored but mixed with the blood so it was hard to tell if it was discolor liquid vs pure blood, called Dr office who is out of country on a trip or something sure her nurse took the call and kept interrupting me asking if I have a fever which I didnt and if the liquid is very dark that was not my case by then I know i wont get anywhere with that nurse so I decided to call Dr office again insisted to speak to someone else, today I went to see them and sure its infected incision so here I dont have any fever, liquid was not dark or discolor, had a nurse who knows it all which she doesnt, always remember seeping blood, liquid insideb belly botton, odor, with no fever ladies please take these symstems very serious. today they took off the glue, underneath my incision is red and raw the smell is so strong that I cant stand it my self, I was put on a very antibiotic plus I must keep the area dry and clean with hydro Proxide so hope you all learn from my experience

Rima Hakooz

Hope I helped

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway