HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Correlation between joint pain and lack of estrogen??? Correlation between joint pain and lack of estrogen???

Unread 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Correlation between joint pain and lack of estrogen???

February 13 marked 3 months post op for me. I had a full hysterectomy and am on progesterone only for the first 6 months. (Hysterectomy was due to endomitriosis) I have been dealing with severe join pain in my fingers, hands, wrists, hips, ankles, feet and toes for about a month now.

I seen my family doctor who did blood work and xrays checking for RA, lymes disease and osteoartritis. All were negative.

Hystersisters sent me the three month menopause checklist and I noticed that joint pain was on the list of menopausal symptoms and I should contact my doctor regarding this- so I did. He checked with other doctors as well as medical resources and said he does not feel there is a correlation between my hysterectomy and my joint pain. However, he said if I have info pertaining to it, he would be very interested in seeing it.

I have seen quite a few posts regarding joint pain that others of you are suffering with and was wondering if anyone could direct me to articles that might possibly be around that show the correlation. Maybe there was a miscommunication between the two of us, considering I did not talk to him directly (he's been on vacation) and I did ask if the joint pain would be connected to my "hysterectomy" rather than saying "menopause" or "lack of hormones."

I'm a stay at home mom of 4 sons, (5 if you include my husband!) and I honestly do not have the time to be layed up by this joint pain. I've heard a lot of horror stories about life after hysterectomy, but that hasn't really been my experience. From a few weeks after my surgury until the joint pain kicked in, I have felt wonderful! I could move again! I had energy! I was not out of commission for two weeks a month when I was on my time! But this joint pain is really bringing me down. At times it's unbearable and I can't find anything to sooth it. Also, it never completely goes away- it's always there, just sometimes not as severe. I have fallen so far behind in my daily tasks because of this- I feel like I am letting my family down just as I did when I was in such pain from the endo. So, if any of my sisters here can give me some remedies that have worked for them, I would be very thankful for that too! Exercises, fish oil, vitamins, perscriptions- ANYTHING that has worked for others I am willing to try.

I just feel like I'm going back and forth between my gyno and regular doctor and I am getting no where. I know my gyno will help me in any way he can- he is a wonderful doctor, but if this is a hormonal issue from the menopause, I need to point him in the right direction to help me out.

BTW- I'm 31, so I don't think it's normal to be experiencing joint pain like this at this age. I remember my Grandma had arthritis in her hand, but that didn't start for her until she was in her late 50s.

And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place! Please move it if it would be better in a different area. And, maybe the articles I am looking for are right here in this site- but I apologize again, as I am not very computer savy!!!!
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Re: Correlation between joint pain and lack of estrogen???

I just started having joint pain. No HRT, ovaries gone. I'm wondering if that's the cause.
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

I am 47 and started having joint pain maybe two months after my hysterectomy. I had pain in my feet so bad that I had to wear slippers for work. Then the pain was in my hands and elbow. I returned to exercising - low impact - and it really helped and know the pain is gone. I am not sure why/how but the exercise and stretching with the exercise really helped.
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Most definitely connected to low estradiol and joint pain for me. In the early months after my surgery I was on a very low dose of estrogen. I started having joint pain and generalized aches and pains that I never had before. It was really bad.
I have noticed that after my blood estrogen level was past a certain threshold of about 60, the aches and pains suddenly disappear.
I had other unusual symptoms too, whenever I asked my doctor about them they always said, "no it's not related to surgical menopause or HRT"
After reading about others on this site, I realized I'm not the only one.
Keep reading, try to get informed and empowered that way you can have a productive conversation with your doctor.
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:45 PM

I started with the joint pain after my hysterectomy. At 30 years old, I felt like I was 100! In 1992 after seeing my family Dr., an internist, an orthopedic surgeon, and a rheumatologist, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I was told I was just "getting older" and" some of this is just to be expected as we age". There seem to be a whole lot of women who are given this diagnosis after their hysterectomy.....hmmm.

I also found that GENTLE aerobic exercise (for me it was walking) was one of the best things I could do for myself. The longer I stayed inactive the worse the pain got. I honestly have to say it's never gone away. When my estrogen level is way off, I feel tremendously worse. I tried some of the various medications that are offered for those of us with chronic pain issues. I don't do well with any of them.

Dr Vliet has a chapter in her book, "Screaming To Be Heard", about Fibromyalgia. If you haven't checked it out, I'd encourage you to. Most people who aren't walking in our shoes would never pick up a book like that to read. It's just those of us who scour around for any bit of information we can get our hands on to prove to ourselves this isn't all in our heads!
Unread 02-25-2011, 03:13 AM

I feel it is due to low estrogen symptoms without a doubt. I had the same aches and pains after my tah 4 yrs ago, then once i started on ert (climara) it went away. To this day I get achiness and pain in my joints, short of breath, exhausted to go up the stairs... when my E is low. We went on vacation over the summer and rented bikes. I was always very active, iin great shape.... I could not ride that bike for more than 2 minutes without having to stop to catch my breath and I hurt like I had been in an accident! my feet hurt to touch the peddles and i had no idea why until i came home, had an estridiol test and i was at 17! I havent researched your previous posts, what are you taking for ert?
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM

It could be due to lack of estrogen but also remember that arthritis is no respecter of age.
I've had osteoarthritis since I was in my 30's. Young kids get arthritis so it's not just an "old person's" problem.
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM

I had a complete hysterectomy 2weeks ago today. I feel that i have done very well an this site has been a tremendous help before an after my surgery. I was glad to know that im not the only one with this joint pain it has started in the last few days even the bones in my toes have ached! I was beginning to wonder if i had "just all of a sudden after surgery" gotten arthritis. My pain from the surgery has not bothered me as bad as this. I am taking estradiol2mg
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Your DR should know this. It's not new or esoteric information. Here's an article at PubMed that should help convince him: Menopausal arthralgia: Fact or fiction at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537472 . (It's fact, BTW) There are plenty more where that came from, too.

It's also well known that women who have to take anti-estrogen drugs such as Tamoxifen frequently suffer arthritis-like symptoms. There are articles at PubMed on that subject, too. So you and me and other menopausal women are certainly not imagining the estrogen - joint pain connection!

Until you can start estrogen, fish oil and glucosamine might help. Plus ibuprofen when it gets really painful. But my joint pain didn't go away until I found the right dose of estrogen.
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Thank you all for your responses!!! It's good to know I am not alone, nor am I crazy. I hate how it often seems that is the case when a woman is dealing with pain- particularly regarding female issues.

I am taking norethindrone which, when I researched it, is usually used for endomitriosis so I am assuming it is an anti-estrogen drug.

Thank you sciencegeek- I will definately refer him to the site you posted as well as go to PubMed to see if it could be the norethindrone that is helping to cause this pain and pass along any info I find there.

To those of you who have been sucsessful with exercise, I am curious to know how long it took before you could do the exercising- like walking- without pain? Even tasks like washing dishes- I have a hard time being on my feet because of the pain, and my hands hurt horribly. (And of course, the hubby doesn't offer much help or sympathy- but that's a post for another day! lol)

I started fish oil today. Any ideas how long it would take to possibly notice any effects from that???

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.