HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does your Hair Stop Growing After a Hysterectomy??? Does your Hair Stop Growing After a Hysterectomy???

Unread 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Does your Hair Stop Growing After a Hysterectomy???

Hi Ladies and Happy Friday

Im just curious, I will be 8 weeks Post-Op on Thursday March 3rd and I got my Hair Cut a few days before my TAH and usualkly I get my Hair cut every 8-10 weeks. Well I have noticed since having my TAH that my Hair doesn't look like it has grown very much at all and also looks Thinner and Limp.

Does having a TAH cause this issue, If so what can I do to start growing my Hair again?

Thanks
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Re: Does your Hair Stop Growing After a Hysterectomy???

Anesthesia causes the hair to fall out sometimes. It stops and grows back after a period.

I'm loosing large amounts in the shower. I have enough to cover three heads, but I'm down to about 2 heads worth now. Sigh.
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM

I have noticed my hair seems thinner, however it seems to be growing a lot faster than it use to. Are you on any hormones?
Unread 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

No I am not on any Hormone drugs and i am not losing any Hair, It just seems very thin and limp and it doesn't appear to be growing. I wonder how long this will last?? Im goin to go get some Pre-natal vitamins to help with hair growth. I hope it starts growing back soon. This is terrible
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Surgery of any kind can do a number on our bodies, especially with the anesthesia and pain meds. You are early post op and likely your body has not completely recovered from surgery.

As a word of caution, you should check with your doctor before using pre-natal vitamins because they have higher amounts of iron than a regular multi-vitamin. Often women who do not have a uterus are even advised to use a multi-vitamin for women over 50 because they contain no iron. Once we do not have a uterus (as long as there are no underlying anemia issues), we generally do not need an iron supplement and we can actually get our iron levels too high with a supplement as we do not have a period to help eliminate any extra iron.

s
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM

I use to take pre natal pills to help my nails grow and for something else, can't remember for what exactly and I have never had kids. Its been awhile since i have taken then probably more then a year.

So what your saying is now that I have had a TAH I have to watch which vitamins I take?
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

I had my hair colored on November 11th (for my November 13th wedding). I normally need retouching by six weeks and HAVE to have it by the eighth week due to gray.

My hysterectomy was November 29th.

My second surgery was December 20th.

I noticed throughout the recovery periods that my roots weren't turning gray and I thought that was great!!! I went back to work on January 26th and the roots were barely visible at that point and it wasn't until THIS week that I saw my roots were at what would normally appear at between the six and eight week mark.....fifteen weeks later.

Also, I just trimmed my own bangs this week...something else that hasn't been needed since November...something that normally needs done much more frequently as I keep them straight just above my eyes. It took fifteen weeks to get that one inch.

I pointed the coloring/gray thing out to my coworkers and they could NOT believe I had gone fifteen weeks with as little gray showing now as it is. I had to assure them I haven't had it done since November.

So long story short (too late! ) YES! My hair fell asleep for what appears to have been almost two months worth of growth. It appears that it has gone back to a normal growing rate again.

Unread 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM

I had my hair cut and colored last week. My hair dresser said my hair felt drier than before. She said hormones do a lot to the hair. Another example is my hair used to be straight as can be, after having kids it became more coarse and wavy. Hormones!
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM

My hair is still thinner & it's 4 months after my TVH. I also notice that since surgery, my underarm hair & leg hair grows wwwaaayyy slower, which is kind of nice, actually. I have one spot on each of my calves that doesn't grown any hair at all since surgery! I guess our body chemistry just gets all messed up from the surgery....
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizz View Post
So what your saying is now that I have had a TAH I have to watch which vitamins I take?
Following a hysterectomy, if we take a supplement or vitamin with iron in it, we could end up with a build up of iron in our system as our body will not be able to shed that extra iron every month with a period.

Supplements of any kind should be taken under the advice of a physician, including vitamins, to be sure we are using safe levels. For instance, naturally I have a high level of Vitamin B12 and D and am not to take any supplements of them of any kind. I also have to watch Calcium as I have a high level and ended up with kidney stones from using a supplement.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.