HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Estrace after surgery..? Vaginal Estrace after surgery..?

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Vaginal Estrace after surgery..?

Hi ladies, I had my sling removed yesterday and the doc gave me an rx for Estrace to help think heal and strengthen. But I'm a little confused about how to use it. My orders are nothing by vagina for 6 weeks and as bad as my vagina hurts I don't really want to stick anything up there right now! I insisted my vivelle dot be cut to 0.05 about a month ago due to side effects and I am very sensitive to estrogens so I don't want the migraines back by adding the cream.

Would you wait to start the cream or does my vagina need it now? Do I have to stick the applicator all the way in while I have incisions etc in my vagina? I know these are probably questions I should ask my doctor but I really don't want to call and have to explain this all to a nurse and wait for a call back. It's prescribed 1g every other night at bedtime.

Thanks!
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Re: Vaginal Estrace after surgery..?

Hi!

You really should call to ask, even though you'd rather not. If the Estrace Cream was prescribed to help promote healing, your doctor probably wants you to use it now. It's important to know whether your doctor wants you to use it externally for a while or if you should use it internally now. That's not something anyone here can tell you for certain.

Best wishes for your healing!

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM

My urologist prescribed Estrace cream about 3 weeks after my surgery to help with healing. He told me to use my finger instead of the applicator. It was odd to feel all of the stitches from my repairs, but I really think that it helped with healing.
I used it 3x a week in the beginning and now I use it once a week.
I'd give the doctor's office a call and see if you can ask to speak to him or the nurse about it.
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:10 PM

I did try to call but didn't get a call back yet. I know my dr is at a teaching conference today because my surgery was supposed to be today and had to be changed last minute. I know waiting isn't going to kill me, but if I have to start it now I'd like to know how. I want to heal right this time though, my vagina is tired of all this nonsense lol

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.