HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Pap Smear after Hysterectomy for Uterine Cancer? Pap Smear after Hysterectomy for Uterine Cancer?

Unread 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Pap Smear after Hysterectomy for Uterine Cancer?

I am 18mos Post Op for Uterine Cancer Grade 1 Stage 1A and I saw a New Gyno/Onc today because my surgeon left practice. He told me I no longer need Pap Smears. I have heard different opinions on this and Im not sure if this is the right thing to do. I would appreciate any input on having Pap Smears after cancer surgery. Thanks!
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Re: Pap Smear after Hysterectomy for Uterine Cancer?

My gyn-onc plans to do a pap smear at every future exam. He told me that if I have a recurrence, it's most likely to show up in the vaginal cuff or rectum first.

I did a quick google and found some info saying that pap smears may or may not be useful in detecting a recurrence. Since it's such a simple, relatively inexpensive test, I prefer to have it done.
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Thank You ! I will speak to both my regular gyno and my gyno/onc at next visits. Gyno/Onc seems to be the one that thinks I dont need one. It was my first time seeing this oncologist and I didnt want to question him. But I will next time.
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Dear Louise

There is some evidence that visual inspection is much more important than a pap smear in finding reocurrences. My gyn ocologist does do them because she wants that extra reassurance. I think it is between you and your oncologist to find the level of followup that you both feel comfortable with.

Lyn
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM

I am one yr and 2 mos post surgery. I have had a pap done every 3 mos since then and 2 cat scans. I will see gyn/onc in May and will see what she has planned for me .
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM

I have had a pap every 3 mos since my surgery, two yrs ago. Also CA125 blood work and I have had several CT scans and one PET scan. So far all negative. I think next week when I see my Dr. I will go to 6 mo. check ups From what I have read everybody has the pap-
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Louise -

For my first 2 years my gyn-onc did them every 3 months. Now I see him 1x a year and a regular gyn 1x a year. He wants Paps done at both appointments.

He does a visual inspection and also does a rectal since it is supposed to be easier to detect recurrences at the cuff via the rectum. Not all the padding as when they do an abdominal palpation.

G.
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:49 AM

I am wondering if it is because my grade and stage were1 and 1a that both Oncs arent doing any paps. The first Onc stopped doing Paps after 9month post op. and this New Onc said I no longer need them. I dont see my regular Gyno until Feb 0f 2011 again being I just saw him for a breast exam and mammo script. I will question this when I see both these dr. at next appointments. Very Confusing! Thanks for your input!
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:50 AM

I meant 2012 with regular Gyno!
Unread 03-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Are you in the U.S. or somewhere else? I wonder if it has anything to do with your insurance or health plan or the generally accepted follow up protocols where you are. When I googled earlier, the first couple of sites I glanced at did say something like pap smears have not been proven to find recurrences of uterine or endo ca. But it didn't say it's been disproven either.

A lot of other people are getting more CT scans or PET scans or CA125 tests than I am. I talked to my gyn-onc about it and his explanation for why he thinks it's not necessary made sense to me.

I guess I would ask the gyn onc if paps are an option for you and why he thinks they aren't necessary. I think you have a right to understand his reasoning and decide for yourself whether or not you want to pursue getting one.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.