HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

magnesium citrate not working magnesium citrate not working

Unread 03-07-2011, 11:54 PM
magnesium citrate not working

Help! I The magnesium citrate is not working. I took the magnesium citrate at 7pm and still have not had a bowel movement and it is 12:50am. Is it normal for it to take this long for it to work? I'm scared my surgery will be cancelled if it does not work. Does anyone have words of encouragement or advice.
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Re: magnesium citrate not working

What time is your surgery? I drank mine @2 and didn't get results until around 9. Feeling any gurgling???
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:06 AM

At 1pm. I am starting to feel a little gurgling does that mean it is on its way? I've donemany bowel reps before but have never had this much trouble going before but I have never used the magnesium citrate.
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:24 AM

The last time I used it I remember it taking a few hours before things started moving, but once they did, I lived in the bathroom for several hours. Do you have a 24 hour pharmacy you could call? Did you get the whole bottle down? I know I couldn't drink the whole thing and that was probably what caused the hold up.
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM

It's OK! I've had 2 Major Open operations & both times couldn't pass my bowels (due to stage IV endo the 1st time & a large tumor a month ago (20x17cm!) pressing on my colon)
The Doc went along with it, no problem. I've had the same BM problems my whole problematic menstral life :P here's a post I recently made too...PLEASE try it. If your Potassium levels are ok post-op (just ask the nurse) the you'll be begging for sweet release from the gas pains. IT WORKS!!!
on the BM front.....STOP with all the torturous Prune Juice!!!!!
COCONUT MILK is a natural high fiber laxative.
I have so many bowel issues, the bowel prep pre-op has NEVER worked for me, no exaggeration...not a single BM.I definitely break the mold :P But coconut milk has worked so well I've officially replace it for my milk every morning! you can cut it with water (2/3 water & 1/3 coconut milk or to taste) & also get your hydration needs met. I snuck it into the hospital post surg after a 5 day no pooping stunt. Where bowel preps, laxatives, suppository, prune & apple juice failed me my coconut worked like a charm You can pick it up at just about any Publix/Walmart/ethnic foods store. It comes in a can usually, just shake & mix to taste.

TRUST ME!! oh also try adding some powdered chocolate (no 'binding' sugars!!), bananas & honey for a OMG shake (all 3 main ingredients are high in potassium so if you have any specific potassium issues this isn't for you) If your going to mix it with apple juice DON"T use the hospitals juice! it's all sugary & will bind you up further! all natural baby
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Yes I drank the whole bottle almost 7 hours ago and still nothing. I have recently started having some gurgling.
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogster14 View Post
Yes I drank the whole bottle almost 7 hours ago and still nothing. I have recently started having some gurgling.
How much water did you drink with it? What seems to work best with that stuff is to drink a bottle of water before you drink the bottle of icky stuff, then slam the whole bottle down and chase it with another bottle of water. Then about 2-3 hours later, drink a second bottle of the icky stuff and chase it with a bottle of water, and then wait. But if you have passed the point of no return (nothing to eat or drink beyond a certain time frame), you would be better off talking to your doctor or nurse and see if it's possible to use a fleet suppository, or try with an enema. I was still shootin water out my bum at 6am when I reached the hospital and I had the 2nd bottle at 9pm.
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:57 AM

i had to use that and two enemas and was still pooping when i arrived for surgery
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:49 AM

I drank TONS of water when I took my citrate. ***HUGS*** and may GOD be with you during your surgery and recovery!!
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:27 AM

My Dr has me scheduled to drink down two bottles. This is what my prep is suppose to be.

Start the night before after supper with only clear liquids. Drink 2 bottles of the Magnesium Citrate starting at Noon. Than continue with only clear liquids.
Drink the first bottle down at noon and than the second bottle at 2pm.
She said by 4 I will start feeling everything come along.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.