HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bleeding and Abdominal Pain 2 Years After Partial Hysterectomy Bleeding and Abdominal Pain 2 Years After Partial Hysterectomy

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Bleeding and Abdominal Pain 2 Years After Partial Hysterectomy

Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? I had a hysterectomy in May 2009, and kept my cervix and my ovaries (despite having several burst ovarian cysts before the hysterectomy, apparently they looked fine during surgery so they were left in place).

Fast forward to Sunday. It felt like I was bleeding, and sure enough, I was. Bright red. Not a lot of blood, but definitely noticeable. And I noticed my vagina felt weird. I can't describe it; it wasn't painful, but it's like I knew it was 'there.' It's felt weird since. Then on Monday when I wiped I could see a bit of brown blood.

Then today it was bright red again. At lunchtime, it was like someone flipped a switch and turned on the abdominal pain. Cramping in the area where my uterus once was, dull pain, and it will not go away. I feel bloated and when I push on the left side of my abdomen I get very sharp pains. It feels just like the pain from a burst cyst.

The blood is what's confusing me. I called my gynecologist's office at 2:30 p.m. and my doctor wasn't there. I'm supposedly going to get a call tomorrow morning telling me if the doctor can see me tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting here thinking of all of the possible causes for this pain. If anyone's experienced acute onset bleeding and/or abdominal pain this far after a hysterectomy, I'd appreciate your insights/suggestions as to the cause(s). Thanks!
Unread 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Re: Bleeding and Abdominal Pain 2 Years After Partial Hysterectomy

Please let us know how you are doing. I really have no idea what the cause would be and we would all be guessing anyway. I am glad you called your doctor.
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Well, my doctor's office never called me back, so at 2 p.m. I called them again and they said they couldn't see me until Friday afternoon. I asked if I could at least go for an ultrasound before then so the doctor would have some information on Friday. They faxed over a script.

I then decided to just go to the ER and find out what was going on since I was tired of being in pain. I have a cyst on my ovary and one on my cervix. I also have excess fluid in my abdomen, so that means either one of the cysts is leaking or there was a third cyst and it burst.

I was given some mega pain meds and was told to follow up with my gynecologist on Friday.

I have a history of ruptured cysts. When I had my hysterectomy my doctor said that the ovaries looked okay, so he left them. Now that I'm dealing with this pain again I'm wondering if I should have just had them removed.

Anyway, I'll post again on Friday after my appointment!
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks for updating us. I hope that the pain meds are doing the trick for you and that you can rest. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope that your doctor has good news for you on Friday.
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM

I am glad you went to the ER. Hopefully the pain med will help you to rest and sleep comfortably. Saying prayers for good news on Friday. Sending lots of
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

It has only been 6 months for me and having pelvic pain and some spotting. I went to dr in feb and she just took urine sample. I called her again today and let her know I am still have pains...I asked could you do an ultra sound or something mind you she was not the dr who did my surgery laparoscopic--via belly button and two small cuts on each side. I have an appt on next monday to see investigate..I have been taking motrin 800mg

Unread 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Went to the doctor today. He did a pelvic exam and I was bleeding again. He said that there's a small opening at the top of the cervix, and that the cyst was at the opening and may be "shedding," therefore I am bleeding a little. He told me that I should keep a record of pain, bleeding, etc. and to see him the first week of May. We're going to monitor the situation for now. The worst case scenario would be that my left ovary and/or cervix would need to be removed. He also asked about any recent hair loss, weight gain/loss, changes in bowel habits, etc. I have noticed that I have less hair at the very top of my head, but just figured that I'm getting older so therefore my hair is thinning. After I told him about the hair loss he ordered a lipid profile and a TSH. I'm going to have to google those terms to find out what those tests are about.

So for now, I will try to be patient and wait for May 4th to get here. I really hope my symptoms subside quickly and I have nothing to keep track of!
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:45 PM

TSH = thyroid stimulating hormone
lipid profile= cholesterol test (total, good, and bad cholesterol)
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Well it's May 4th and I went for my follow-up appointment. The cysts are still there and the one on my left ovary is pushing on my cervix. I'm having an oophorectomy (sp?) later this month; not sure when. Soon I hope. I have been in pain for 8 weeks.

Not sure what to expect for that surgery (i.e., recovery time, time in hospital, etc.) My 2 year hysterectomy anniversary is tomorrow.
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM

hi there, so sorry to hear your still having problems.
I know the feeling too well, i had a partial hyster 1 yr and 4 mths ago.
I had cervix removed due to cancerous cells and uterus due to uncontrolled bleeding.
I have a collection of fluid/mass that is large in size 12cm by 10cm and my ovaries have become very enlarged, i get bad pains in my legs, sickness and a fullness feeling. Very severe tummy pains that has made me admitted to hospital.
Iam having a operation to remove the collection and the ovaries, all they said to me that the ovaries may be full of cysts or it could be something more sinsiter but wont know until they operate. I dont know how they are doing it, just want it sorting out.
I hope you get sorted and get better real soon. Sorry i cant give advice only understanding of what your experiencing. keep in touch of how you go on . april. xxx

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.