HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bloated Stomach Bloated Stomach

Unread 03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Bloated Stomach

Good Evening,
I had my hysterectomy on May 14,2010 and I wanted to know is bloting norman? Since the hysterectomy I have noticed that my stomach is getting bigger. Is there anything that I can do for the blotting?
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Re: Bloted Stomach

Hello,

Do you think it's gas or "swelly belly"?

I can relate to gas part! I had it so bad for about a week. Gas-X worked great for me. I will also mention that I was constipated too so I drank warm prune juice and that really helped to get things moving. Doing those two things resolved the bloating issue for me.

I had "swelly belly" for about 2 weeks, so it wasn't a big issue for me. It does eventually go away on it's own. Everyone is different with when it goes away. There are a lot of great posts out there of what other women have done.

Good luck!

Hugs,
Suzy
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Re: Bloated Stomach

Thx for the info. I am frustrated that my stomach makes it look like I am having a baby. I look to be about 5 to 6 months. I will thy the gas-x.
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM

I had mine in June 2010. My initial swelly belly went away after a couple of months, then it would come and go after that. I thought it was pretty much gone, but about a month ago it came back, literally overnight. It's been here ever since.
In my case, I had just started taking senna for constipation. I quit the senna this week, we'll see if it helps.
I don't really have any solutions for you, unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone! I also look like I am pregnant...I think it is worse now than it has been since right after the operation. It is extremely frustrating, isn't it?
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Talk about being frustrated. I can't see my feet anymore. My husbands is supportive and say "babe you still look good." But to me I can't take it. Like you I too had a small stomach before but now it is worse.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Have you talked to your doctor? Just to rule out anything else.
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Not yet my next appomt. isn't until next week But I am because this is driving me crazy
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:13 AM

I'm 6 wks post op and I've still got swelly belly which isn't gas related. I was getting worried bcos I expected it to go down earlier. I've spoken to my DR who said 'it's normal', great help!
Unread 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Ok thx.It has been almost a year and mines is still bloated. Not gas either. My mom said her's has been swollen for over 30 yrs. But it seems like it is getting bigger. My next Dr. appt. is not until week after next. Thx for the info.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM

I feel your frustration! Today is my "hysterversary" and I am still dealing with a swollen abdomen. I am a very thin person (5' 11 1/2" and I weigh 140 lbs) and there are times I look pregnant. My gyn said I need to see a GI dr. I did and had a colonoscopy, all was "textbook". I do notice a connection to my belly getting larger when I am more active as well as after eating just a little bit.

I have an appt. with my GYN this Thursday and another with a new GI dr. the following week.

I also developed ovarian cysts that have come and gone. I notice that my belly has been larger when the cysts are resolving themselves.

I wish you all the best. I truly know how incredibly frustrating this is and I am sorry for all of you experiencing this!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.