HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Big fibroids with even bigger belly Big fibroids with even bigger belly

Unread 03-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Big fibroids with even bigger belly

Recently my fibroids have begun to grow and my belly looks bigger than ever. I look like I'm about 6 month pregnant, my stomach is extremely rounded all over. At the moment I have consults booked but no surgery date.

What bothers me is that I have had people, including coworkers, ask if I'm pregnant, and people offer me seats on the train. A few weeks ago a coworker, who knows I have fibroid issues, told me that she didn't want to make me feel self-conscious but she noticed that my stomach was alot more pronounced. I don't think she intended that to hurt me but it sent me into a downward spiral for the next few days.
I've gotten to the point where I really dislike the way I look. At work I avoid coming away from my cubicle, I feel so embarassed, I don't want people to see me.

Are there any hystersisters out there who have had similar experiences? I don't think I'm going to get a surgery date before July. I'm dreading having this go on for another 4 months.
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Re: Big fibroids with even bigger belly

Harpster - I'm very sorry to hear how you're feeling. I had fibroids as well and have also maneuvered by way through our Health Care System (which has lots of positives, wait lists not being one of them). The main thing I can offer you is that you WILL get through this. The time line might not be what you like, but know that you will get through to the other side and put it behind you. I understand how agonizingly slow it all goes in the meantime but keep hanging in there.

It sounds like you have more than one consult lined up already? That is GREAT. I found that wait times for surgery can really vary from surgeon to surgeon, but I tried really hard to focus on who would be best for me in terms of their specialized skills and also whether we could work well together as a team.

I have to be honest, it did take me a few months to get an appointment booked, but until you meet with them you won't know for certain....so hold on to as many positive thoughts as you can and try to focus your energy on fact finding.

In the meantime....it's no piece of cake carrying large fibroids around. So if a seat is offered to you, and your feet could use the break, take the seat! Try to focus on what you want to do after your surgery which you don't feel able to do now...including wearing a nice outfit to show off your fibroid free figure? Please know that I'm not in any way trying to trivialize these points, at all....just trying to help you find the glimmers of hope. I do know how hard those glimmers can be to find some days.

When do you have your consults? Please fill us in when you have them! You have come to a perfect place to share your feelings and questions and worries. We are here for you, so keep it coming!

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Fire thank you so much for your kind words.

I'll definitely try to stay positive and try to learn as much as possible before my consultation in June. I'm not sure if I can have laparoscopy or DaVinci but I hope to find out by June.

Thanks!
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Harpster!
A couple more things I can add:
I learned when I went for second and third opinions that some surgeons make recommendations based on their own surgical experience. The first surgeon I saw told me that I would not qualify for a laparoscopic procedure. I had my second consult with a surgeon who specializes in LSH procedures and he confirmed that I DID qualify...and in the end he was my surgeon and I had a successful LSH procedure.

I also learned that nobody in my "real" life understood what I was going through, but each and every time I came here to this website, I felt "normal" and could get through my emotions and worries. I was diagnosed in July 2009 and had surgery in May 2010....so I was here alot! I'm sorry that it's really difficult for you at work, and all I can offer is that people often don't mean to be insensitive, and often don't even realize they have been. But that doesn't make it any easier to experience. So please do come here and ask for hugs or empathy or whatever you need and we'll offer it up!

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM

Hello
I can relate with you. Before I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on 25 feb. I experienced the same embarrasment. I had been diagnosed with uterine fibroid since 2004 but it was symyomless until november 2010 when I began to expereince heavier longer and more painful periods. I weighed 70 kgs now I weight 58kg without the huge fibroids!

By feb 2011 was on admission for a week for severe aneamia was tranfused with 4 pints of blood(not a pleasant experince at all). After my discharge from hospital another period started that lasted for 7 days! My hemoglobin levels had dropped to 6.9 surgery was the only option! To combat the vicious cycle.

Its very painful but worth it. Now I have a really slim figure without a protruding stomach. I now wear a size 6 from size 10.

Am so glad I had the hysterecvtomy!

And this site is the best thing that has happened to me on the internet.

Will be praying for you. Takia All will be Well. Trust God!
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:13 PM

Oh forgot to add that I did start wearing loose fitted tops to hid my big bump! Prior to the surgery. And I always had a scarf to cover my stomach so my co-workers wouldn't stare. My boss (male) actually asked me if I was pregnant!

Prior to surgery, my womb was 34 weeks!

Cheer up! You will feel better after the Surgery. Am so HAPPY now! God I Thank you.

Woca
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Ladies, thanks for the words of encouragement. Woca I have been wearing XL size tops as well. I can't wait to have a normal waist again.

I have a coworker, who is very nice, but whenever we talk I see her eyes lower down to my belly and then up again and then down to my belly again and it goes on like that throughout the entire conversation. I know she doesn't realise that I notice. Kinda funny.
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM

Yeah! Can be really funny! A colleague who had not seen me in months, actually asked after my "baby"! She said she thought I had given birth. Lol!!!!!

Don't worry, soon you will get you normal waistline back!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.