HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

14 Years Post-Total Hysterectomy.  Question about Amberen. 14 Years Post-Total Hysterectomy. Question about Amberen.

Unread 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
14 Years Post-Total Hysterectomy. Question about Amberen.

Hi. I haven't been here in a very long while. I had a total hysterectomy at age 40. I am now 54. Been on Premarin .065 mg for 14 years. But the last several years I've started to gain weight and have terrible insomnia, plus I've developed really bad arthritis and stenosis all through my spine. Basically, I'm deteriorating. Already have had two surgeries to replace cartilage in both of my thumbs and have disc problems from my neck on down. I attibute a lot of it to not having ovaries.

Now my question is I've heard about this new Supplement called Amberen. I've ordered it and started it this past week. So far I feel pretty good but still have terrible insomnia. Actually though I feel better than I have in years, except for being sleep-deprived. Anyone here ever heard of it and ever tried it? I would be curious to know if this is worth it. Thanks!
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Re: 14 Years Post-Total Hysterectomy. Question about Amberen.

Honestly, Amberen is unlikely to help at all without ovaries. If you're noticing anything, it may be a placebo effect.

Have you had your thyroid tested? Weight gain can be from a thyroid imbalance. I would also suggest that maybe after all these years you are deficient in progesterone. Or maybe the Premarin isn't the right dosage. Or maybe not the right estrogen at this time for you. All the hormones work in harmony. One thing goes awry and than we get symptoms.

You can read more about hormones in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks. Yes I have had my thyroid checked and ultrasounded. Normal. Strange though, my doc is insistent that I don't need progesterone because I have no ovaries. And I have lowered my dose of estrogen and just felt worse. Too high and it's just as bad. I'm at a loss.
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM

There are many doctors who feel no uterus = no progesterone, but that is not true for all. There are two good articles at the link I provided in my previous post.
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM

I agree with Kim. If your dr believes you do not need progesterone without a uterus, I'd find a more modern, current in research doctor. The old school type were taught no uterus = no progesterone. More recently, drs have discovered how much the natural progesterone can help balance the estrogen.
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Hi,
I am 41 yrs old, and Feb.8,2011 had a TAH. I have been using amberen now for about five months, and just started it again in March, I had to stop in January to take a break, but after the surgery, my hot flashes came back again, and so I decided to take it again.

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT SAY AMBEREN DOES NOT WORK IF YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY ORGANS-------------IS COMPLETELY NOT TRUE! I DON'T THINK IT IS FOR ANYBODY TO JUDGE EXCEPT THE DOCTOR IF YOU SHOULD TAKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE STOP GIVING ADVICE ON THIS SUBJECT IF YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to make up your own mind and try it first like so many people did, to see if it works or not.

Good luck to all of you.

Cbrenna
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM

First, no one said it would not work, what was said was it is unlikely. Big difference. Second, you are very recently post op. Kind of early to say for the long term. If you were using it before surgery, things can be different with your female parts in tact.

There really is no reason to shout. We are all here just to share our experiences, whatever that may be.
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Pink here! Listen, I've started taking it almost two weeks now and yes I have noticed a difference. Especially in mood. Still have some night sweats but I was having those on HRT. I'm giving it more time but I will honestly say that being on HRT for so many years was taking a toll on me and my health. Oh, and I'm sorry but progesterone makes me feel terrible and does not help but only makes things worse for me, so I sort of have to agree with CBrenna that you may not know everything there is to know about hormones replacement and unless you're a doctor you shouldn't be telling me or anyone else if something will work or not. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it and from your answer to me obviously you haven't tried it. You seemed very quick to dismiss it. So in all, I think it does have some benefit but I'm still giving it time. Oh did I say that progesterone is NOT good for those without ovaries? I don't know where you get your info from, but each time I've tried it I felt absolutely horrible. So unless you're an MD, you should not be giving advice. Just experience.
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Hi Pink,

Thanks for having a wider view on things. I have used Amberen now for about five months and it is helping me a great deal.

It's nice to hear from someone that agrees with me in regards to Amberen. Only if your doctor saids it's okay.

Good luck to you, and I hope that it will help you like it is helping me.
Cbrenna

God bless.
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:24 AM

everyone is different. Me for one... if I don't have progesterone in balance, I'm a MESS!!! Before progesterone, I was on the v-patch for 20+ years and then I started to have ANXIETY like I've never known before and I was afraid of everything. Thought I was losing my mind. Found a Dr. who dealt with hormones and put me on progesterone. I didn't like it in the beginning but I stuck it out and now I can't imagine not being on it. Its our calming hormone and I think if you go without it long enough - you'll know. Your body will tell you. Maybe some don't need it. But I think other things in our bodies will go wrong. Muscle weakness - maybe from poor working adrenals and why.... because the body is trying to steal enough progesterone from anywhere. So, just keep it in the back of your mind and don't let it go too far downhill. Keep having lab work done and keep track on how you are feeling and where the numbers are. If you do start having issues and it could be from not enough progesterone, FIND a Dr. who believes in it. I went thru a few Dr's who insisted I didn't need progesterone since I have no ovaries. And I just don't see how they could say that with my history, symptoms and EXTREME low numbers - almost nil.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.