HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bleeding with bm Bleeding with bm

Unread 03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Bleeding with bm

Hey ladies, never fails that some issue arises right around the time of a follow-up appt. For the last few weeks I've had some bleeding with bms. Nothing major and nothing that caused alarm other than the thought of "geeze, this is happening a lot more often".

So yesterday afternoon I went to the bathroom and there wasn't just some blood, but a very good amount of it, with clots. This is the second time this happened. The first time was in Nov I think. I was worried, but the bleeding stopped, and by the morning things were fine again. I didn't think anything more of it.

My tummy has been acting up more than usual, started in January. But I was under a lot of stress and my nerves were on edge, so I know that played a role in it. Lately its just been hard to judge when its ok and when its not.

I called my gyne/onco's office because I had an appt scheduled for this morning and wasn't sure if I needed to go to the ER or if I could wait. The doc wasn't there, but the nurse said because of the clots she didn't want me waiting. At the ER they took blood and did some kind of rectal swab. All my blood levels are good and there's no trace of blood in the rectum, no tears, no hemorrhoids...nothing.

The doctor told me that just a few drops of blood could turn the entire toilet bowl red, but I've been around the "bleeding into water" block and I'm fairly certain that it was more than just a few drops. And the clots were larger than normal. I'm used to one or two clots, but there were more than that. And more clots on the toilet paper. And this time there wasn't the clear discharge mixed in with it either, it was just blood.

The ER doc said it could be diverticulitis, but I'm not having pain. Some level of being uncomfy, but no pain. He said it could be radiation damage that is too far up for him to see. And it could also be related to the bowel repair from that obstruction.

I ended up not seeing my onco today as she was called into the OR for an emergency. She has all the test & blood results from last night on her desk and spoke with the ER doc prior to him releasing me, so she knows whats going on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm over the shock of seeing the blood and just want to know what I could be dealing with so I know how to do deal with it.
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Re: Bleeding with bm

Oh Vega!

That must have been so unnerving! I've only had blood in a bm once. It was both a long dark red streak along one side and a small clot. They tested for blood in the stool, ran lots of test on the blood and decided it was probably related to radiation and it was resolving itself. As it never reoccured, it was left at that.

I wish I could be more help. Hang in there.
Lyn
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Oh man! Always something to deal with! I haven't had any experience with this either, but just wanted you to know I'm praying for you.

I HAVE experienced vaginal bleeding (twice) since my treatment. After many tests we determined it must be from radiation damage. But it scared the daylights out of me. I'm ok with it now, after time and no more bleeding.

My husband had rectal bleeding once (a lot!) and it turned out to be an internal hemmoroid.

It makes sense that it could be from the bowel repair.....the tissue would be fragile, especially after radiation.

I know you're going to worry until you get an answer.....but remember it could have various causes.

Sending BIG hugs!!
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Just heard from my onco's office. She's sending me for a colonoscopy. Tips or advice on this would help. All I hear is the bowel prep is horrid. I have enough digestive issues so I'm already dreading that.
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:45 PM

Vega, I'm sorry to hear you have something new to worry about. When I read your post I was thinking colonoscopy so I'm glad to hear you are having one and that will be a sure way to rule out any problems and if there is something there, they can zap it during the procedure perhaps. I have had 2. I was supposed to start before age 50 due to my Mom having colon cancer but didn't start until age 52. It was clear and I was told to come back in 3 yrs. 3 yrs happened to be a few months after my rad hyst for CC. He actually found a couple small polyps which he removed and wasn't too concerned about. I go back in 5 yrs for another.

The bowel prep is not fun, but not that bad. If you had to do one before surgery, it is comparable to that. There are some solutions more palatable than others and even flavors better than others. If you google for info you will get some suggestions. Just keep lots of baby wipes and vaseline handy.

The worse part for me the first time was that the "twilight sleep" or whatever they used for sedation did not work for the entire procedure. Although I was unable to speak or move, I could feel the nurse pushing hard on my stomach and it was quite painful My Dr said it was the first time it had happened with him and I was the first patient who remembered the entire conversation immediately following. He felt very bad and ordered the next procedure done in the hospital under anesthesia. I found that to be very easy and that's how I will always have it done. My understanding is that it's an option for anyone but probably depends on insurance. My ex is having one in the hospital tomorrow, his first! His father had colon cancer.

I think hemorrhoids can cause lots of bleeding if bad enough. I get them without much pain from constipation, but never clots that I'm aware of. Good luck with your colonoscopy. After all you've been through, it will not seem like a big deal!
Unread 03-17-2011, 04:23 PM

What the others say about the baby or hemorrhoid wipes is something to heed! Even tho you might want to blow it off, cause who has time to shop for another thing - get thee to the wipes aisle at the store! your bum will thank you for it (else your bum will get revenge!)

The other thing is, whatever you do, if you get the prep kit with a choice of flavors - DO NOT CHOOSE THE PINEAPPLE! it's like a warm salty dum dum lolly pop with headache overtones. I'll never be able to drink another pina colada ....

For me the most painful part was the stupid nurse trying to get the IV line in - I was pretty dehydrated (tho the Doc did compliment my prep in the report!) so I guess it was hard to find the vein, but geeze she just kept stabbing. Try to get them to give you some Novocaine there first. They did that when I had my surgery and it was no problem.

When they started the procedure I felt some pain - like bad gas pain, which it probably was. I voiced some complaint and the doc said something and the next thing I knew I was watching the dolly shot as the little camera slid out of my colon - that part was actually rather pleasant I must say.

And then I found myself in a lounge chair where I sat around for a bit and when my friend came to pick me up we went and got some lunch. Which I enjoyed quite a lot.

HTH
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Sorry to hear about what you're going through. How soon will you have the colonoscopy?

I wish for you an easy way for prepping for this, but I don't think there is. For my hysterectomy I had to take this suprep stuff. It was aweful and I had to force it down and try very hard not to vomit it back up. I had to drink one big glass of it an hour or so much every 15 minutes. My surgeon had me do this twice. My poor sister was with me and took my wretching noises, and lovely bathroom noises and etc without batting an eye. All i can say is it is not fun, but you'll live through it.

Now that I've talked about how yucky the bowel prep is, one good thing for you is that they will go in and have a look to make sure that there is nothing going on. As mentioned by the ladies often they can fix things while they're in there or biopsy if need be. They can do so many things these days. This might give you some peace of mind that all is okay after they go in and check.

I think they do a lot to keep you comfortable during the actual procedure. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing compared to what you have already been through. Once you are done and you get the results you will feel relieved.

I'll be thinking of you and am sending you positive thoughts that you are not stressing or worrying too much.

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf-lee View Post
The other thing is, whatever you do, if you get the prep kit with a choice of flavors - DO NOT CHOOSE THE PINEAPPLE! it's like a warm salty dum dum lolly pop with headache overtones. I'll never be able to drink another pina colada ....

HTH
And, we can't have that, Vega!

Seriously, I'm sorry you're dealing with yet another bump in the road. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for the best possible outcome, sweetie!

monami
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Oh dear, Vega! I'm glad you're having a colonoscopy. It will put your mind at ease. Your oncologist is certainly doing the right thing by ordering one. The prep sucks, but you can do it. Just plan to take a pillow and blanket into the bathroom with you . . . and wear something for protection on the way to the procedure. The experience is not for the timid, but heck, we've all lost our sense of modesty already!

Hope it all goes well. When it is over, you'll say it really wasn't a big deal. Let us know when your date is set.

Suzanne
Unread 03-18-2011, 03:54 AM

Dear, I am sorry to hear that you are having more troubles! Hope they get to the "bottom" of this, and soon! I am due for another one of those colonoscopies this year as I was put on 5 year watch and I will turn 55 in July.

I don't have time right now to read thru everyone else's suggestions, so I am sorry if I repeat anything others have said. If you are getting the big gallon prep do make sure that it is chilled and not room temp. If you are allowed to flavor it, use a light color flavor and not an orange, red, purple, blue (you get the idea). I made the mistake and assumed I could use the Strawberry flavored Crystal Light I had at home already, then I read the directions that told me not to use a red flavor. I drank my prep at night, and I live 15 miles from the nearest open store, so I was stuck with drinking it plain!

It isn't a fun preparation but it is doable ...I did not like it, but I was able to get it all down just fine! They wouldn't tell you to do something that is impossible to do. Just think about "the little engine that could!!" ANd honestly, afterwards, I actually felt good and clean inside!

Keep us posted, and best to you, always!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.