HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone Have To Use BACTROBAN Nasal Ointment For 5 Days? Anyone Have To Use BACTROBAN Nasal Ointment For 5 Days?

Unread 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Anyone Have To Use BACTROBAN Nasal Ointment For 5 Days?

My doctor prescribed Bactroban nasal ointment which is supposed to protect me from getting MRSA (staph infection) while in hospital. Have to use 2 small tubes a day (1/2 tube in each nostril morning & evening) for 5 days before surgery. I started today and find it very messy. I'm supposed to massage the sides of my nose for 1 minute afterwards and when I do, the ointment oozes out. Am I doing something wrong? My nose is also stuffy from the ointment which I assume is normal.
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Re: Anyone Have To Use BACTROBAN Nasal Ointment For 5 Days?

I have never heard of the nasal ointment before. Did you ask about any side effects? Maybe you can "google" it to find out if your stuffy nose is a side effect or ask your doctor. The only thing my doc told me to do is to clean myself with Hibiclens skin cleanser. I have to rub it on my abdomen and vaginal area really well in the morning when I take a shower. Hope things go well with your surgery-God bless! robyn
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM

I googled it, and one of the things mentioned is that you absolutely should NOT put it inside your nose! Maybe you should call your doctor and ask him about it.
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM

The directions I found online says to press the sides of the nose together and gently massage for about 1 minute after application to spread the ointment throughout the inside of the nostrils after after applying inside nostril. Maybe pressing your nose closed while you gently massage it?

I would give your doctor a call, too with your questions.

Deb
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:37 AM

ds9kirys. there are 2 types of Bactroban ointment -- one is specifically a nasal ointment; the other is a topical ointment which is not supposed to be used in the nose.
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:46 AM

The people I've known on nasal Bactroban had cultured positive for MRSA and had no symptoms, so were considered "carriers". It's interesting that it could protect you, I wonder if that is a new thing. I know that ointment is thick messy stuff but I think the idea is mainly to coat the area rather than hold it all in. But your Dr or pharmacist would be able to clarify that. I wonder if the hospital has found that to cut their MRSA rate? I know now a lot of people are bringing MRSA IN from home now, so protecting yourself is good. Sounds like a proactive Dr.
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Anyone Have To Use BACTROBAN Nasal Ointment For 5 Days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles8861 View Post
ds9kirys. there are 2 types of Bactroban ointment -- one is specifically a nasal ointment; the other is a topical ointment which is not supposed to be used in the nose.
Oooh!! Sorry ...

Carolyn suddenly remembers that she does not have a medical degree, and slinks away with a very red face!
Unread 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM

during my preop they did a nasal swab for MRSA. I am a nurse and work around a lot of patients who have it. So I would be surprised if mine comes back negative. It is treated with a small amount of ointment inside the nose. We don't put in a lot and massage it in. We just put a thin layer in there. Every doctor/hospital is different though. For example, with the bowel preps, I've noticed there are a lot of different preps going on, lol.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.