HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Strong Rapid heart beat. Strong Rapid heart beat.

Unread 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Strong Rapid heart beat.

I'm 8 months post op. Everything is going well.

I have had a very strong rapid heart beat since then. Sometimes when I lie down at night, I can't get to sleep because it's thumping so hard. I'm on metoprolol for my BP.

When I had my 6-week check up, my GYN said it couldn't be menopause or the estrogen. She recommended I see my family doc. So, I did! He thought it was the estrogen and told me to consult the GYN. (Tennis anyone?) He scheduled me to wear a 24-hour holter monitor and have a stress echo-cardiogram a few days later. That was in November. My dad passed away suddenly, so we had to postpone the tests. I finally got the 24-hour monitor. He wanted me to schedule it for a time when I'm as close to "normal" in my daily activities. I sing, and we had a 2-hour rehearsal that night, so that was "normal" for me. It showed some arrhythmia, but nothing he was concerned about. He left it up to me whether I wanted to do the stress-echo. Since it was December, and I was in PT twice a week for a hip problem, I opted to wait.

I had a very bad stomach bug over the weekend that left me dehydrated. I actually had to go to the ER for fluids last night. (They ran a pregnancy test. I'm not pregnant! haha) My heart rate was pretty high, so they were hoping the fluids would help. I'd get up and go to the bathroom and it would shoot up just from that small amount of activity. It's a bit scary.

The ER doctor (female) said the dehydration could cause that, but since I've had the problem in the past, she is thinking it could possibly be menopause. I'm having frequent hot flashes without the "hot" if that makes since. It feels like an anxiety attack, but it's not brought on by any stressful events.

Tomorrow I see my family doc and will most likely follow that with a trip to the cardiologist.

What questions should I ask? Could this be from the estrogen? Could it be menopause? Should I be on something else besides the vivelle dot? (My gyn wasn't receptive to anything other than that.)

Sorry for the long winded post. Just feeling a bit confused these days.
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Re: Strong Rapid heart beat.

My thyroid and hormones most definitely cause strange heartbeat issues. It seems to happen when they are either too high or too low. I described it to my Dr. as feeling like an axe muderer had stepped into my house and wouldn't leave. It wasn't even just a panic attack that lasted minutes, it actually was constant for sometimes days at a time. I went through the whole holter monitor business...even broke down and went to the ER and let them keep me all night so they could track the cardiac enzymes. I got on the treadmill in the morning while the cardiologist was there to monitor it. All came out okay. The most helpful ER Dr. told me I just needed...uh hum...Rolaids. He felt it was acid reflux. I was speechless!

Maybe you could ask your Dr. to at least run a blood test to see what your estradiol is at this point. Could be you need a different dose. Sometimes a change of delivery is needed.

P.S. Glad they ruled out pregnancy for you! LOL!
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Re: Strong Rapid heart beat.

I have had heart beat issues too. For me it doesn't always seem to be that my estrogen is too low.... just a bit out. One of the worst times I had was before I had my 2nd ovary removed and where my estrogen had gotten too high. It felt like I was on the brink of an anxiety attack all the time. I was pretty much convinced I had stopped absorbing the HRT but blood tests showed my E was high. I cut back and it resolved.

Hope you find an answer soon

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.