HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can I change Vivelle Dot more often than 3 1/2 Days? Can I change Vivelle Dot more often than 3 1/2 Days?

Unread 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Can I change Vivelle Dot more often than 3 1/2 Days?

I have been having a terrible time getting my dosage right with the Vivelle Dot. I started on .05 and worked my way up to .1 + .05. This was fine for the first week, however, this time I feel like I need to change it already and it has only been 2 1/2 days. I'm getting terrible headaches (I had hormonal headaches before the hyst.) and lots of heart palpitations, which seem to be my major side effect of menopause - even more than hot flashes. I'm also awake pretty much all night. I'm pretty sure my problems are from not enough estrogen, rather than too much, but it's hard to tell.

I guess my question is - has anyone ever changed their patch after 2 to2 1/2 days? I'm even wondering if maybe I received a defective patch this time. My headache is terrible and I need some relief!
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Re: Can I change Vivelle Dot more often than 3 1/2 Days?

I get all of the symptoms you're having when my estradiol is too high. I used to think it meant I needed more and I'd keep going up only to have symptoms get worse.
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:16 PM

I don't know. I started my dots today. I sure hope they work well for me. Good luck to you as well!

Kimmy
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Vivelle dot .1 only lasted 48 hrs for me. I am now on Divigel .1, use it every morning and recently had to increase and have a small dose in the evening also

LSH 3/13/09
BSO 8/27/10
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:39 PM

I started mine last Wed and have noticed neck and shoulder pain along with some headaches. I have been reading that the dot can cause all these. Katie, is there anything besides the headaches that make you think it's not working?

My question is will these pains go away? Is this something my system needs to get used to, or is my dosage wrong? And, if so, do I need to go up or down. I ahven't noticed the heart palpatations yet?
Unread 03-27-2011, 06:42 PM

I was worried that I may be wrong and that my dose was too high, rather than too low. It's so hard to tell.

As for my other symptoms, I mostly just have the heart palpitations, insomnia, brain fog and a few hot flashes.
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM

I get the same symptoms you have--insomnia, brain fog, hot flashes-- when my estrogen is low (except I get indigestion instead of heart palpitations). I have to change my Vdot every 3 days (I use two patches at once and change them 1/2 day apart), because I was getting migraines on the day after the patch change at 3-1/2 days. Even then, I sometimes get a regular (non-migraine) headache on the day of, or day after, I change patches from the surge of estrogen. I think it helped my migraines to change patches at 3 days because my levels don't drop as low, so the surge isn't as big a jump.
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Hi,

I also found I had to change my patch every 3 days. If I go longer I get a headache and am grouchy.

I hope you find what works for you soon.

Lizzy
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Last night was another bad night - sweating, tossing and turning all night. Today I woke up with another headache and took a triptan to get rid of it. Today was day 3, so I changed my patches. I am going to the doctor Thursday and can't wait to discuss this with her. I need some bloodwork done to see where my levels are and find out if maybe I shouldn't be on another form of estrogen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.