HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Question - burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse

I have seen my surgeon so-o-o much since my surgery 11/8/10 that it's silly. He finally sent me to a urologist who says my bladder is down on one side and the urine doesn't know where to go - I'm either dribbling, gushing, can't go or it feels thick - every which way but loose. I sat with him for 2 hours (a record) begging him to try and cut the sling - he doesn't want to. He's afraid to hurt me - says I may be worse. What's worse?? This constant burning and irritation is driving me up a wall. All the tests, cystoscope and 10 different meds (I had a really bad bug) are taking their toll onme. I'd beg but I have arthritic knees and he'd only have to help me up (sorry for the laugh). Anyone have a solution out there? Old Chick
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Re: burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse

I have IC, so i am nervous about how mine might be after surgery. I do want to know what will happen in your case. Please let us know
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Wink - burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse Re: burning after bladder surgery and new prolapse

Dear LavenderStars,
Finally I am getting through to my surgeon. I saw him on Wednesday, 3/30/11 and he wanted to know if I reconsidered cutting the sling and I said yes. (I thought he was going to cry, he was so relieved)I wanted him to go back in and get the part of the prolapse off of the sling since it is a constant source of irritation, not to say a source of infection since I still am not emptying my bladder all the way. He was hesitant at first, but when I said to him that if someone he truly cared about had this problem and he could fix it woudn't he? he exploded "I care!" He's worried since my symptoms are pain and burning and he doesn't know if fixing the new prolapse will help, but I told him I can't live this way so he agreed. I told him the urologist didn't say to cut the sling - he said to get the bladder up off the sling! I also told him since my last surgery was so extensive that he's the one that knows what he did and I'm not doctor shopping - I want him to do it. But just to relieve his mind (and mine) I got another opinion the following day from a urogynecologist - she said the severe burning up inside me was from the staph infection I had and "by the way, you have a really bad cystocele - you should think of getting that fixed." She also said my tissues are so inflamed from the urine, I should be using some kind of cream to help. I called my doctor when I got home, told him all she said and ended with 'you wanted a third opinion, you now have it. Get me on your schedule' -April 18th is the day.
Yes, I'm scared, since this is such a brutal surgery with a protracted recovery time, but I am so hopeful this will help me this time. When I spoke to his nurse yesterday and apologized to her for being such a b#@$%, she told me no, I hadn't been - I just had so many problems they couldn't believe it. I know my surgeon was worried - his other nurse told me he had my chart with him. It has been 5 long, excrutiating months as of April 8 and it's hard to believe I'm going in again. But to have half of your bladder fall over the sling makes for a difficult recovery - don't I know. Thank heavens for this web site. Hope to you LavenderStars - Old Chick
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chick View Post
Dear LavenderStars,
Finally I am getting through to my surgeon. I saw him on Wednesday, 3/30/11 and he wanted to know if I reconsidered cutting the sling and I said yes. (I thought he was going to cry, he was so relieved)I wanted him to go back in and get the part of the prolapse off of the sling since it is a constant source of irritation, not to say a source of infection since I still am not emptying my bladder all the way. He was hesitant at first, but when I said to him that if someone he truly cared about had this problem and he could fix it woudn't he? he exploded "I care!" He's worried since my symptoms are pain and burning and he doesn't know if fixing the new prolapse will help, but I told him I can't live this way so he agreed. I told him the urologist didn't say to cut the sling - he said to get the bladder up off the sling! I also told him since my last surgery was so extensive that he's the one that knows what he did and I'm not doctor shopping - I want him to do it. But just to relieve his mind (and mine) I got another opinion the following day from a urogynecologist - she said the severe burning up inside me was from the staph infection I had and "by the way, you have a really bad cystocele - you should think of getting that fixed." She also said my tissues are so inflamed from the urine, I should be using some kind of cream to help. I called my doctor when I got home, told him all she said and ended with 'you wanted a third opinion, you now have it. Get me on your schedule' -April 18th is the day.
Yes, I'm scared, since this is such a brutal surgery with a protracted recovery time, but I am so hopeful this will help me this time. When I spoke to his nurse yesterday and apologized to her for being such a b#@$%, she told me no, I hadn't been - I just had so many problems they couldn't believe it. I know my surgeon was worried - his other nurse told me he had my chart with him. It has been 5 long, excrutiating months as of April 8 and it's hard to believe I'm going in again. But to have half of your bladder fall over the sling makes for a difficult recovery - don't I know. Thank heavens for this web site. Hope to you LavenderStars - Old Chick
Wow, this is incredible. Thank you for responding. I will let you know as soon as my surgeon tells me. Right now I am in pain, i suspect I have endometrosis in my bladder. I already went thru 2 dilations since my urologist thought It was too narrow.

My thoughts and prayers with you to feel better.
Unread 04-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chick View Post
I have seen my surgeon so-o-o much since my surgery 11/8/10 that it's silly. He finally sent me to a urologist who says my bladder is down on one side and the urine doesn't know where to go - I'm either dribbling, gushing, can't go or it feels thick - every which way but loose. I sat with him for 2 hours (a record) begging him to try and cut the sling - he doesn't want to. He's afraid to hurt me - says I may be worse. What's worse?? This constant burning and irritation is driving me up a wall. All the tests, cystoscope and 10 different meds (I had a really bad bug) are taking their toll onme. I'd beg but I have arthritic knees and he'd only have to help me up (sorry for the laugh). Anyone have a solution out there? Old Chick

I suffered with all kinds of horrible ordeal since the TVT sling implant. After almost two years of suffering from infections to voiding difficulties and extreme pain, I had it removed last month and I felt immediately better, even with surgery stitches...sorry for the bad news but the TVT sling is not inert. Please google TVT bladder sling complications or even on this site, there are thousands of women who have their lives ruined because of the sling. The Surgeon found my mesh sling wrapped around the urethra choking the flow and part of the mesh cutting into my bladder, which explained all those UTI's. The entire sling must be removed...I had to travel out of state to UCLA Medical center because most Surgeons do not know how to remove it, so many women had to have up to 5 surgeries or more. There are only handful of skilled Surgeons in the country who can remove it properly. Make sure your surgeon has lots of experience removing the mesh, it is very difficult surgery, most gyn,uro or Uro/gyn will not even attempt to remove it saying it is permanent. Best wishes.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.