HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Da Vinci anyone? Da Vinci anyone?

Unread 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Da Vinci anyone?

Hi! I am wondering if anyone else had the da vinci and if so what all do expect during recovery process?? I am 12 days post-op today and feel great . I have gone to the grocery store( last night), I did a little vaccuming today but I sat on my butt on the floor and used my husbands shop vac so there was no strain I am walking around find and have been off all meds for a while now. I go back to school tomorrow which I am very excited about and I just wanna know what have you experienced?? Like I have read some girls bleed around the second and third weeks and some girls have trouble with there incisions and their peeing hurting or smelling or having a funny odor and I was wanting to know when you started taking walks again?? Cause even after my swelly belly goes down I still need to loose a little. I am 133.5 and want to be about 125 and I would LOVE to go walking around the lake in my area but I don't know when to do that? And what happened at your first post-op appt? Oh and do you ever see the stiches from the vaginal cuff coming out and does it hurt? Thanks sooooo much for any information! And I hope everyone is healing well.
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Re: Da Vinci anyone?

I had the DaVinci 4 weeks ago, coming up on 5. I had some pain but it was manageable. Walking was "challenging," because my guts were moving around. My intestines were very tender. The hystersister binder helped. The hospital binder was horrific . . . very painful.

The first BM was painful but okay thereafter. My huge uterus had squashed my bladder and urinations were amazingly painful for weeks. I get twinges even now.

I also had serious bleeding and tenderness on the right side. It's still tender and achy. There is also a huge bruise over there.

I've not done any appreciable exercise walking. You might want to ask your doctor or at least wait until you get clearance. There is no harm in just enjoying doing all the things you can do now. The weight can wait. You don't want a set back. As you can see from the threads weeks 3 and 4 have special challenges as various parts of your body start coming back to life.

I never had any appreciable bleeding and no sutures have come out from the vaginal cuff, but then I'm not sure if I even have them. The doc may have used cauterization. I doubt the stitches hurt. By the time you SEE them, they have already done their job.

At my first post-op appointment, the doctor looked at the incisions, took off the steri-strips and answered my questions. I got the pathology report then, as well. I imagine the 6 week post op will have the exam.

Congrats on your progress! Mine is much slower than yours, but I feel lucky to have done it. Don't RUSH. Take your time. The weight can wait. The lake will still be there. Just focus on school and dealing with all of that. I am sure you will have plenty of walking there.

Hugs!
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks soooo much for the info and advice! I am so sorry things have not been perfect for you and hope you continue to get better I will call and ask the doc cause I need to ask him a few other questions as well. I am scared to overdo it but I am trying to watch myself. Thanks again.
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM

I had a DaVinci in Sept. 09. The recovery at first was great but I overdid it and set myself waaaaaayyyyyyyyy back!!!!!! Like back to the beginning. That is my one word of caution. Listen to your body and don't overdo it. I returned to work at 2 1/2 weeks and pushed myself until I ended up in hospital sick as a dog. Since then three more times in hospital. A lot of people do fantastic and heal quickly with no problems. I am glad to hear how great you are doing. Just make sure you listen to your body.
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Im so so sorry you ended up back in the hospital and thanks for the advice. Thats why im going to try and go back to school tomorrow but if I get to hurting or feel to tired im going straight back home!!
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

hi denniskait I had the da vinci also and I am 13 days post op, I did have some burning during urination and went to the store and walked around yesterday for the first time and started having some discomfort after a while but I've only had to take my pain pills once since I've had the surgery so I'm really pleased with the recovery process so far. My follow up with my Dr is in 2 days so I'll let you know how it goes. Remember not to do too much to soon even if you feel likee you can.
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM

I am 8 days post-op and am starting to feel pretty good. I was on vicodin for 3 days and stayed on ibuprofen for another 2 days. I'm still sore from my incisions and the glue they used is starting to itch. I really haven't had any bleeding at all. A tiny bit of discharge the first day but nothing since. I had my ovaries removed and am having some hotflashes. Started Elestrin day after surgery so hoping that will help with my estrogen levels . I'm take 4 weeks off of work and am taking it very slow getting back to normal activities.
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM

My daVinci was Dec 8. My recovery was very smooth. I went back to work at not quite 4 weeks, very much part time, and found that I got tired very easily. Also not always as sharp mentally as I would have liked at that point. I was very careful not to do anything abdominal until about 7 weeks, so I'd be very cautious about vacuuming. I know it's hard to just sit there and watch the dust bunnies playing, but it's not worth it. Even now, at almost 4 months, I still find that I can get sore abs when I add a new activity.
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Hi - I had my surgery on March 1. Pretty smooth recovery so far. 2 weeks after surgery, I started to walk around the track and drove. I miss the gym, especially my Zumba and Spin classes.

I still get tired and having crazy lapses in my memory. Kept my ovaries but still getting night sweats for some reason. Not cleared to go back to work until April 18th. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM

I had mine 2/25, so about 4 1/2 weeks ago. I went back to work 1/2 day on Day 5 and full time from Day 6 on. I have a desk job with no physical activity and the doc said i could as long as I wasn't on narcotics, which I wasn't. I still didn't drive until 2 weeks, and have actually only driven once as we only have 1 vehicle and Hubby drives me everywhere anyway!

I have to agree with Sassine, there are some real challenges in weeks 3-4 that just knocked me for a loop. I was doing awesome until then. I am still not doing badly, and I'm going on with my life, but still have times when I have the swelly belly, aching, and honestly I've never paid so much attention to poo in my life. My bowels and I are still trying to adjust to the changes. sigh.

As for the first 2 week post-op, my doc looked at my incisions and cleared me to take baths. We discussed HRT and decided that I'm doing well so far with my OTC and natural remedies and we'll revisit at my 8 wk appt or when I call him begging for the patch.

My doc cleared me to start walking at my 2 week appt. He always encouraged me to walk some anyway, a little every hour or so, but I was cleared to do more of a walking for exercise rather than just to the bathroom. I started with 5-10 min per day and have built up by 5 min per week. (am up to 15 min this week) He said that if I break a sweat, I'm doing too much. He also said I could do "light easy yoga" with the same time restrictions, but I haven't tried that yet.

I had ZERO spotting until almost 2 weeks post-op. And I haven't stopped yet. sigh. It isn't always there, it isn't very heavy, and it barely ever gets on my pad. But there is often pink on the TP when I wipe. Only once has it gotten red and that was this past Saturday. I have never seen any stitches. I did have some sharp pains in the vaginal area that seem pretty common during week 3-4. (that's part of those challenges we mentioned)

I still have my weight restrictions. I don't vacuum, I don't do laundry, I don't scrub the bathroom. Really, I just go to work and come home. I was EXHAUSTED after work for a long time. I'm still tired, but getting somewhat better about that. Maybe. LOL

Definitely ask your doc any questions, I'm sure they've answered every question there is!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.