HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hysterectomy, labiaplasti, lifting bladder Hysterectomy, labiaplasti, lifting bladder

Unread 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Hysterectomy, labiaplasti, lifting bladder

Hi, I just went to the doc yesterday for the 3rd time since feb. We have been watching a cyst on my right ovary and he thought it would go away. Turns out the cyst did go away but my fallopian tube has a huge cyst on it that he says will only get bigger and not go away so I am gonna have to have surgery unless I want to live with the pain of always feeling like I'm ovulating. Talking to him I told him how I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom and he did a further examination and used some instrument and said my uterus is coming down about half way and it's pulling my bladder down too. He said it's totally up to me weather to remove the uterus and he can do it all vaginally but he said it will be very hard to fix the bladder if I don't remove the uterus. Also my labia are getting larger and while he's at it he can fix that too. I'm gonna be 43 this month, had a tubal years ago so having kids is not anything I worry about. He did say we can just do the fallopian tube now and have the hysterectomy later. But why should I go under the knife 2 times rather then one if I'm gonna likely have it done anyway. Here's my questions, is it a better idea to have the uterus removed to fix the bladder or to try to fix all of it including uterus? although I have read that the uterus will eventually come back down again. Has anyone had all this done together including the labiaplasti and how was the recover and time? I have a stand up job for a few hours a week and will not be getting sick time so I want to return as soon as possible. How much pain will I be in, is it like a episiotomy? although I have had a few surgeries and this doc saved my life with one of those so I trust him very much this time I am very worried. Also I am worried about sexual performance after. Thanks for taking the time to answer this.
Unread 04-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Re: Hysterectomy, labiaplasti, lifting bladder

Hope all goes well for you. I don't have any knowledge about labiaplasti or bladder repair; however, from 99% of what I have read on this forum, even a vaginal or laparascopic hysterectomy requires time to rest and heal. I know a tiny amount of people who went back to work quickly, but that is not what by far the majority of people do. I watched a video of the procedure--and there is a lot of tugging and snipping/sewing up the interior--even with laparascopic or vaginal approaches. I wasn't grossed out or anything, but it struck home that this is invasive, no matter what the approach.

So maybe, balance out the options. Doing fewer things (i.e. fallopian tube repair only) will be less invasive and allow you to go back to work quicker, perhaps. But then again, your doctor prefers to remove the uterus before fixing your bladder, yes? So you could not get a key problem (bladder) fixed regardless without removing the uterus. What do you think is your greatest priority--a less invasive surgery that allows you back to work quicker, OR taking care of all things at once, therefore avoiding a 2nd surgery? What is the max time you can take off? I think that would also be something affecting your decision. IF you can have a good amount of time off, maybe the complete surgery would be the better decision. If not, well, perhaps another choice is better.

I'm real big on weighing risks vs. benefits. Example: I chose to tear, rather than have an episiotomy, because the research showed me that most tears are no worse (and often better) than the episiotomy; therefore, benefit to me outweighed risk. A good friend chose the opposite route because she interpreted the risk differently and preferred a clean cut to a tear. We both had good outcomes, btw, and were each happy with our choice. (I really had no pain from it, incidentally). Medicine is often such an individual choice. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a supportive doctor and a great outcome!

Dee
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Dear liz:

Here is a link to the Prolapse section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27

Many doctors believe that removing the uterus will make the bladder correction more successful. You may find it useful want to get a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion. My 2nd opinion had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than my 3rd opinion.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks ladies for your responses. I am trying hard to decide what I want to do and am going back and forth between the pro's and con's. Seeing as uterine resuspension is only effective for about 5 years that is out of the question. I feel like this is going to be a ongoing problem if I don't take care of it now. My doc did tell me that younger women can have more pain but recover better cause he can see all the nerves and things he has to deal with. And honeslty this stupid cyst is bugging the heck out of me, not a bunch of pain at all but just annoying enough to bother me. And I think it's effecting my energy cuase for the last few weeks I have been more tired then normal and think it's my body trying to fight this bugger off. Still confused but getting closer to a decision.
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Hi Lizcrafts1,

I can understand your concerns with the options for your surgery. Let me share with you my expierance, I had my left ovary removed due to a demoid cyst, uterus removed because of excesive bleeding, episotomy type of surgery to repair muscles that had become weakened, a urethral sling, and a labiaplasty. I chose to have all this done at once rather than having two seperate surgeries, I also did not want to have to pay two different co-pays.

The pros for getting everything done at once for me is that I am a big chicken and I probably would not have gone back for another surgery. I love not having to worry about having a period anymore and the pain that went along with it.

Now for the cons (for me); having all those things done at once required an extended recovery. The urethral sling caused me to not be able to go to the restroom to empty my bladder so I had a catheter for about 7 - 10 days. By far the most painful of the procedures was the labiaplasty and the pelvic floor repair. I had swelling if I was up for too long then I had to apply ice packs and elavate my legs to relieve the swelling. In my opinion I was a slow healer and I also smoke cigarettes so that also slowed down the healing process.

That all being said, am I glad that had everything done and during one surgery? YES ! My outer labia was removed, after it healed I have had no bad side effects. I was concened that my sexual relations with my husband would suffer because of the surgery, this has not been an issue and in many ways sex is better now.

I hope this helps in your decission process, I am sorry that I can not offer any advice for the bladder sling. Just remember that everyone's healing time is individual and we are all unique in as far as our circumstances. I would encourage you to get a second opinion just to be sure that you have weighed all your options. I had 3, and they each had different degrees of options. Do what's best for you in your situation.

Sending BIG Hugs
Carol
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you Car^go your situation is similar to mine, I sooooo apreciate you responding to me. It made me feel so much better. I called the doctor's office to schedule my appointment and they told me the earliest he has is August 9! ok I was not happy cuase I don't want to wait sooooo long and be a wreck the whole time, so I asked if there was anything earlier and she said she would talk to him and have him check the book. She just called and told me June 1! yay ok I can be nervous for less time now and since it's much closer then august I can now plan ahead. My son's baby is due around the month of august and that would make me very sad if I couldn't even hold my first grandbaby.

Your response helped to decide knowing I would be ok. Thank you for sharing and after all is said and done I will be posting my follow up and if anyone else has similar questions I can answer them.

I think this site is wonderful! After reading some of the stories even some of the bad ones I feel like I'm not alone in this and it's a nice feeling.

Peace and God Bless
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Lizcrafts1....I just had all that u r writing about done two days ago. I too had to come home Roth the catheter. No am not a smoker and usually a very quick healer. I will try to keep u posted on how I progress!! Good luck! For me, the idea that in 6 weeks I can run and jump and not pee myself will make all of this worth if!
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evac_Wife View Post
Lizcrafts1....I just had all that u r writing about done two days ago. I too had to come home Roth the catheter. No am not a smoker and usually a very quick healer. I will try to keep u posted on how I progress!! Good luck! For me, the idea that in 6 weeks I can run and jump and not pee myself will make all of this worth if!
Thank you soooooo much. I hope you are feeling better very soon! Please keep me posted and also the idea that I can run or jump without peeing or even just go to the store without feeling like I always need to find a bathroom keeps me feeling hopeful about this.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway