HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why does it take so long to get the results of an endometrial biopsy? Why does it take so long to get the results of an endometrial biopsy?

Unread 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Why does it take so long to get the results of an endometrial biopsy?

Hi. I am new here. Two weeks ago I had an endometrial biopsy after an ultrasound showed I had a thick endometrium. I was calm until today, keeping busy with my family and busy job. Them the waiting got to me. I am 51 and have many of the risk factors for endometrial can Ed, Including PCOS, high blood pressure and obesity. Why does it take so long to get results? If the pathologist sees can Ed, does he or she do further tests that take longer? Is this a normal wait? My ultrasound also showed a large cyst on my right ovary classified as "other or unspecified", not functional cysts, which I get often. Is this cyst cause for concern? I have a repeat Internal sonogram in a few days. Sorry I have soany questions! Not normally a worrier, but this is gettIng a little nervewracking. Thanks!
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Re: Why does it take so long to get the results of an endometrial biopsy?

Sorry your having to wait friend. My experience may be different from yours, but from the time of all my tests, including D&C done because of post menopausal spotting to the actual hysterectomy...took a week. No longer.
I was 58 when i started with spotting after 2 years of no periods. Took 3 weeks from my first visit to family doctor, to consultation with oncologist for my davinci hysterectomy....D&C revealed complex hyperplasia with atpia...oncologist recommended a total hysterectomy...i trusted him and had one 4 days after my appt with him.
Im doing well. I hope you get answers very soon. And like everyone here says....are seeing an oncologist for your problem. They really are the experts to see in this kind of situation.
Good luck new friend. I hope it all works out for you....lots of support here with caring and giving women. Best wishes!
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks so much, Clydette 2! You are very kind. My doc, a woman, is part of an gynecology/oncology office, so I am guessing she is consulting with one of her onc co-workers, altho I don't know that for sure. Your kind words put my mind at rest. Thanks again. I will keep you posted. So glad you did not have to wait long for answers.
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:43 AM

It doesn't hurt to nag them a little. Sometimes the test results are sitting on the doctor's desk and haven't been read yet. Call them every day if you have to. Good luck.
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM

I waited 2 days before they notified me that it was cancer. 2 wks seems like a long time. I'd start calling them, I agree with every day, tell them you are worried and need to know. Keep in mind it could be something other than cancer, so it may just be they are in no hurry to contact you with something not cancer. They don't always realize how we suffer waiting. I hope you get the results soon and I'm guessing they have the results just waiting.
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

The other ladies have given excellent advice (as usual!). I just wanted to send more hugs and say we're very glad you found us! (((HUGS)))
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM

I would also recommending calling... perhaps they sent slides out to be read elsewhere (mine were sent to Mayo) but you should be hearing something by now.
You need to be your own best advocate for health care...
Let us know what you hear.
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM

ladybug,

Just adding my "call" to the others! Call your doctor and ask for the results. You need to look after yourself; as PattieO said, you must be your own best health advocate.

Ronni
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Sometimes, the longer the wait the better the news. After my diagnosis of endo cancer during my total hysterectomy, I saw my path results 16 days later. It was good news. The cancer was removed with surgery. Did not progress to lymph nodes. Others on this website, receive word within a few days if it is very advanced. Hope you receive word soon. My wait was torture. I never want to go through that again. I haven't really recovered yet and it has been three weeks. Take care.
Unread 04-08-2011, 12:13 AM

I waited two weeks to get my report also and it was the longest two weeks ever! I found out on Monday that they did find cancer in my cervix but that it did nto spread, I could have kissed my doctor. Praying you get good results too, stay strong.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.