HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estrace vs. Estradiol tablets Estrace vs. Estradiol tablets

Unread 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Estrace vs. Estradiol tablets

Are the generic estradiol tablets the same as estrace tablets. I was going to get estrace, but then saw estradiol tablets are available and are much less expensive.

Also, if I want systemic absorption, (blood level increase), and at the same time bypass the liver, should I take the tablets vaginally or dissolve them under my tougue?

Thanks as always!
Kathy
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Re: Estrace vs. Estradiol tablets

I use the Estrace cream vaginally.
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Some women do just fine on the generic. If cost is an issue, it may be worth a try.

Estrace cream vaginally may not be the same as the tablets. Many times vaginal estrogen is meant to stay in the vaginal area, thus it is not for symptematic symptoms but for vaginal dryness issues.
Unread 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Hi Kathy!

You need to ask your doctor about alternatives ways to take oral estrogen pills. The dose orally is much higher because so much of it is lost during the digestive process. If you were to use a whole pill sublingually, for example, you would be getting too high a dose.

I know there are members who use the generic estradiol instead of Estrace pills. It's worth a try to see if they're right for you. It's one of the low-cost drugs available at pharmacies--even without prescription insurance.

Unread 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks Kim and April!

The reason I am considering the pills at all is because I am not sure I can get my levels up with the gel alone. I'll be able to tell after I have my next blood draw.

I'll ask my doc about sublingual, etc. I'm also going to try the brand estrace first to get an idea what to expect from the generic.

Kathy
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Many women do just fine on the generic, and some do not. The only way to find out is to try it. Trying the brand first is a good idea so you can compare the effect you get from each one; do stay on each one at least several weeks before switching, though, to give your body time to acclimate to it.

Also, pay attention to which manufacturer's generic you are given when you first decide to try the generic; they each may use different fillers and binders, and it's these "inactive ingredients" that some women find affect the results they get from the estrogen in the tablets.

The requirement for generics is that the blood levels achieved from a particular dose need to be within +/- 20% of the levels achieved with the same dose of the brand name product. They *may* be a lot closer but it's not required, and that's another reason some women find that they work differently.

Good luck, and let us know what you experience!

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks Linda,

I'll let you know how it goes. It will have to wait until I can see the doc in a few weeks. Until then, I will continue with the gel increase.

Kathy
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sycamores View Post
Are the generic estradiol tablets the same as estrace tablets. I was going to get estrace, but then saw estradiol tablets are available and are much less expensive.

Also, if I want systemic absorption, (blood level increase), and at the same time bypass the liver, should I take the tablets vaginally or dissolve them under my tougue?

Thanks as always!
Kathy
I take the estradiol tablets and am doing fine on them. It is also a great money savings. My dr also has me on the vagifem suppositories twice a week and that helps a lot with the vaginal symptoms. I don't know how much the localized tablets work systemically.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.