HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

what exactly is the difference between a hot flash, night sweat, hot flush? what exactly is the difference between a hot flash, night sweat, hot flush?

Unread 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Arrow - what exactly is the difference between a hot flash, night sweat, hot flush? what exactly is the difference between a hot flash, night sweat, hot flush?

I'll get warm at night, throw the covers off get colder really quick then cover up again. so what am I having?
from my limited reading hotflashes are during the day, night sweats occur at night and both have diff. causes??
someone please explain the differences and what I am experiencing so I know the correct term when I meet with a new gyn in early May.
thank you
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Re: what exactly is the difference between a hot flash, night sweat, hot flush?

Good question Ann.

I have exactly the same issue. I'm seeing consultant tomorrow and going to bring it up, had TAH and ovaries left in tact, was having the flushes before op but not the nightsweats which are NOT a welcome addition.
Unread 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM

I had 3 hot flashes during my first 3 months post-op (I'm 11.5 months post-op now) and they were like nothing I'd ever experienced. It was way more than just getting warm. In an instant, I went from feeling normal, to sweating all over and feeling like I needed to strip my clothes. It was an immediate very hot feeling, much more than just feeling warm. At least that's what they felt like for me.

I haven't had any more hot flashes, but now for the past 2 nights, I've woken up soaking wet - so much that I have to change my pajamas. It wasn't until this morning that it dawned on me that it could be a symptom of menopause. I'm 37 and not really ready for this yet, but I know it's inevitable and sooner because I had hysterectomy. I'm due for my yearly so I'll ask my doc when I go in.
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:59 AM

I've had hot flashes but the past 3 nights I guess I've had hot flushes because im burning up under the covers and when I pull them off I'm freezing! It just feels like 1 constant hot flash and it's awful. I'm going to another gyne because the 1 that did my surgery just won't help because I still have my ovaries. I can't go on with all this going on at night and still have nausea and vomiting in the morning! Ugh! I'm just tired and still no answers from a dr.
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM

So is hot flush and hot flash same thing? I've not had a hot flash since before my surgery nearly five years ago. But I am having the night sweats. I don't have to change my night clothes yet, but wake up with a skim of sweat all over me, some dampness of my gown, but quicky dries ... chilling.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.