HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > New Member Help Center - Introduce Yourself

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroid the size of a 20 week pregnancy and considering my options Fibroid the size of a 20 week pregnancy and considering my options

Unread 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Fibroid the size of a 20 week pregnancy and considering my options

HI everyone!

I am a 43 year old woman with no previous history of fibroids. I've always had heavy periods and other symptoms of fibroids but never diagnosed. In the past few months I've developed a rapidly growing lump in my abdomen. Yesterday I had my first appointment with a new OB/GYN and he confirmed that the "lump" in my abdomen was likely a fibroid. A rather large one at that - he gauged it as comparable to a 20 week pregnancy. He did a pap smear and a manual exam only. I am scheduled for a sonogram on Monday and hopefully that will provide a better idea of what's going on.

I did not feel a good connection with the doctor and although he asked many times if I had any questions I didn't feel like I was given much information. I asked him if the rapid growth was any concern and he never said yes or no and just gave me the standard "fibroids are most often benign" patter. Also, after the office consultation, on the table he asked which breast the lump was in!?!? I had to remind him (after all the talk of probable abdominal fibroid) that it was "down there". He was apologetic but....hm. So I'm researching everything now- including my options.

I've been scouring the internet and HysterSisters had answers for questions I have. I'm happy to have found the website! Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences and advice
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Welcome!

Welcome to HysterSisters! You don't have a hysterectomy date mentioned in your profile (click here to add it if you know what it is!)

For helpful information and resources you will find specific help by clicking these links: for Treatment Options, for Pre-Op Or for Post-Op.

You will find wonderful information in our Hysterectomy Checkpoints.

For more information about managing your journey around the site, visit New Here. General answers to basic questions about the site can be found in our FAQ.

Please [click here] and fill out your Member Survey. It is fast and easy and will help others to be able to provide support for your hysterectomy needs. (And you will get your first member badge!)

We are glad you registered!

Again, welcome to HysterSisters!

P.S. This is our "Introduce Yourself" forum and its purpose is to point you in the proper direction for the best support for your needs. Only staff can reply here for the purpose of helping you find your way around the HysterSisters.com website. Support by our members is offered in our support forums (links in this reply above) where you can ask your specific questions and receive replies from our members. We look forward to seeing you on the support boards of this site!
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Re: Fibroid the size of a 20 week pregnancy and considering my options

and

I'm glad you found us and hope that information you gather, as well as support shared with women who can relate, will be helpful to you.

There's a message board on this site called Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives where you can start new threads to ask questions and to ask for support while you're researching your options. You'll find information to research in the Hysterectomy Options Checkpoint and a video about the importance of seeking a second opinion in this link: Give Me a Second. If you do decided to schedule a hysterectomy, you'll be welcome to move over to use the Pre-Op message board.

We look forward to sharing with you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.