HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

flu before surgery? flu before surgery?

Unread 11-24-2001, 03:58 AM
flu before surgery?

Ladies,
Need some help. Surgery is Monday and I have the flu! My temp is low now,but the coughing is killing me now. I feel like I have coughed my uterus half out already. DH says it will save the doctor time. He's soooo funny.
The doctor has been gone for Thanksgiving week so I couldn't call him. Do I just show up Monday morning and let them decide? My throat is so sore I don't know how they could get the tube in.
To top it off my period started Thur. (That's just my uterus's way of telling me it wants to stay). Does that effect anything?
I am having a LAVH for CIS in cervix and uterus. I had told the doctor to take ovaries, but I think I have changed my mind for the hundredth time. Is this normal too? I might not have a choice anyway, I just like to think it was my decision.
Anyway, more worried about the flu now. Thanks.
Unread 11-24-2001, 05:22 AM
flu before surgery?

Hi Pam!

I'm sorry you have the flu! I think you are right in being concerned about the sore throat and coughing. I'm thinking that even if you could talk to the DR now about it, s/he might advise you to come in for the surgery as planned, then decide at that point what would be best for you. If you could even call and speak with the on-call DR or assistant or nurse before Monday, it may be they would have either specific instructions in a case like yours, or at least a suggestion or recommendation.

I have heard of cases such as yours where the surgery did have to be rescheduled due to illness. For any major surgery, it is important (or at least highly preferable) that your lungs are clear and you are feeling healthy.

Best of luck to you; I hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 11-24-2001, 05:38 AM
So sorry to hear!!!!!

Dear Pam
Oh dear!!! I am so sorry you are sick. I am not a medical expert but for my own peace of mind, I would get on that phone and call the answering service and talk to the doctor on call. ( who would be a partner to your doctor and probably has an idea what the usual policy for something like this is.) A t least you could ask him if your doctor would normally go ahead or would he cancel. They might want you to come in and be evaluated as to see how your lungs sound. Or how your white cell count is as to know if there is an infection to be concerned about. It would be so nerve racking to go through the weekend not knowing. I will say a prayer for you, and am sending a big lots of love Jacqui
Unread 11-25-2001, 03:18 AM
flu before surgery?

Pam,

I'm so sorry you have the flu! I don't have any advice - just echo what the other ladies replied. Just wanted you to know how sorry I am you are sick. And on top of everything else.

PLEASE let us know how things go. Assuming you do go tomorrow, I'll be in the castle by the time you are home. I'll be anxious to read a post from you!

My prayers are with you. And remember to Think Good Thoughts!

One of you Hoosier HysterSisters!
Unread 11-25-2001, 05:43 PM
flu before surgery?

Thanks ladies, I'm just going in tomorrow morning, and let the doctors decide. I never did get in touch with anyone. I think at this point my husband will remove it himself just so this can be over and I stop whining. Or at least change the subject of my whining. LOL
Reading other posts, it seems that I'm not alone with being sick.

Mary Sue,
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck to you on the 28th. I'll be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts from Georgia.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.