HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What is the best way to prepare? What is the best way to prepare?

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM
What is the best way to prepare?

Ok.....so I have already posted bout the emotional turmoil and fear about surgery....but what is the best way to practically prepare? I am thinking that I need to get to the hairdressers, get my nails done, make arrangements at work, grocery shop, clean...etc. Does anyone have some useful tips for me to make life a bit easier after Lap Hyster?
Unread 04-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Re: What is the best way to prepare?

You may find you are not allowed any nail polish on for surgery so dont stress too much about your nails. If you are going to be home alone and not have much support make sure you have food in the house and that its easy to prepare. I the few days before cleaned the house so I wouldnt look at things thinking I need to do that.
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM

It also helps to pull some clothing items you will need for the first few days (underwear, socks, pjs) out of drawers and put them on a shelf or on top of dresser so you don't need to bend to reach them. And get some bottled water stored at a good height as well. We usually use filtered water, but I knew the filter pitcher would be too heavy for me to lift for awhile.
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:58 AM

You'll find lots of useful tips on this site! The articles, links, checkpoints, forums, etc. My "reacher tool" you'll find it at the hystersisters store, & my pillowpet to support my tummy, were Godsends as well! Wishing you a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery!

Unread 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

I agree with the other sisters. Don't worry about your nails, but the cleaning I did before I had mine. I bought comfy nightgowns and slippers as well. I "rented" a recliner from the furniture place in order to help me get up easier. The couch was too low and getting out of the bed lying flat is hard to do as well. My hubby put a small table beside my chair so that I would have things I needed.
All my underwear, towels and pajamas stayed on the end of the dresser to make things easier for me when I got out of the shower and got dressed.

I hope this helps. You will find your way as you prepare and when you get home you will find more ways to make it easier for you.

Good luck!!
Unread 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Thank you so much ladies. I am working right up until my surgery now (have many court matters I cant get out of) so I suppose that I am trying to find shortcuts! At least my DH is a bit of a chef and loves to cook for us all
I will admit that I am looking forward to buying some new things for me including daggy comfy clothes and big granny undies :O

As for the nails....they are clear acrylic so I need to get those done so they dont grow out, tear off and I end up with micro-surgery as well hehehe......
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM

You better check about the nails. I have UV gel nails and I had to have mine sanded off. My nails were a mess after but they insisted they come off or the surgery could be cancelled. I asked about just having clear and it was a no go. I was back at the manicurist to have them put back on 12 days post-op.
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:33 AM

I have had previous surgeries with the nails and have been told as long as they are clear (mine are) and that I have no polish on my toes then its acceptable. However I will ask at my pre-op appt.
Unread 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM

I was allowed to have my nails painted so it all depends on your Dr. As for me one thing I found out was that after I got home I was so wiped out even from just getting a shower. My D.H put a folding metal chair with a towel on it in our shower for me so I sit for the first week. Was a wonderful idea so you may want to get a shower chair or something like what I did. I also slept on the couch so having everything in baskets right there on the table really helped. Good luck to you! LAVH/BSO due to Adeno and Cronic Endometritis
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:13 AM

I think the best way to prepare is to have a really clean house, a stockpile of clean comfy pajamas, and lots of food on hand. Have popsicles and small snack bars on hand in case you don't feel like eating much. Have Tums and stool softeners and Gas X avaialable.

Also have a stockpile of good books, magazines, and movies to watch while you're recovering.

Lastly, prepare by relaxing. Get ready, then pamper yourself and relax and try not to worry too much. Go into surgery with a calm and relaxed state of mind, if possible. It will help.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.