HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Need advise on bladder spasms and pain Need advise on bladder spasms and pain

Unread 04-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Need advise on bladder spasms and pain

I am just over 2 weeks post op. I had a robotic assisted hysterectomy, single ovary removal and rectocele repair. I am on a second antibiotic for a probable bladder infection. I have struggled with near constant bladder spasms since catheter removal in the hospital. Uribel is definately helping but it is difficult to get back to sleep after I get up to use the restroom at night. I am limiting my pain meds, none yesterday, and decreasing the advil dosage due to concerns with taking these meds for over 2 weeks; constipation, stomach issues, ect. I pray that I will not live with these bladder spasms much longer. Any advise?
Unread 04-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Re: Need advise on bladder spasms and pain

Have you tried alternating between Advil and Tylenol? Too much Advil or similar, can seriously irritate your stomach. 2 weeks out is still early, hang in there. Everything is trying to adjust.

I am 53, I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago today. I've had a little trouble urinating since then. Now, I'm having retention problems. When I think I'm empty, I found out I'm really full.
I'm seeing a Urologist, he has me taking Uroxatrol (sp?), and that helps, but, still have hard time relaxing enough or trying to go. There is a large complex cyst possibly on the remaining ovary (about size of orange - large to me) pressing against my bladder. I'm having that removed, and think (hope) that is the bladder issue. The doctors say it's not. They don't know what else could be going on. But, I'm so afraid of having to wear a "bag" the rest of my life - I don't know how to proceed. If the Urologist says he doesn't know...who do I talk to?

I've had nerve conduction tests, CT/IVP, MRI's....nobody knows why my bladder is doing what it is doing...which is really not much of anything....any ideas/?
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Are they only talking about removing the cyst at this point? Do you drink any caffeine?
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM

No, the whole thing is going to come out. It's big, and has it's own blood supply. Everything else was removed 5 years ago. So, I don't really need it. The past couple months I've been having some hot flashes and doctor thinks it's probably done doing it's job.

While I'm not keen on having another surgery, I do want it gone. And I really HOPE that it fixes the bladder problem. Because that one concerns me the most.

Get lots of rest!!
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM

I really hope the surgery helps with your bladder issues too! Best wishes on your upcoming surgery Keep us posted on your progress after surgery.

I think my bladder spasms are causing "dribbling". Not compelety sure since I am still having some minor dishcharge from the surgery and a silver nitrate application last week . I really hope these spasms stop after the antibiotics do their work and I finish healing.
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Thank you for the best wishes.
Dribbling has got to be very frustrating...what is silver nitrate application?

Did you have hip-to-hip incision? I did. Long time healing, but, very happy with how it healed. They used glue not staples or stitches.

You didn't say, but, have alternated the tylenol and advil. I was told by doctor once to alternate...that way if one doesn't work you can take an earlier does of the other...body doen't get used to one kind or the other.

Please keep resting, and drinking lots of fluid. And don't overdo it.
Have you tried an ice pack for the spasms? Ice is miracle relief!
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

I have not tried using an ice pack..what a wonderful idea, thank you! I will also start alternating Tylenol and Advil. I had a robotic assisted vaginal hysterectomy so I only have 4 small scars on my abdomen. The big ouch was the rectocele repair. Thankfully things are back to working normally for the first time in 20 plus years! I know I waited because I was very scared to have a hysterectomy to young, I am 44. Granulation is scar tissue which starts to form over an unhealed area, thus preventing/slowing true healing. An application of silver nitrate cauterizes the unwanted tissue. I had the pocedure 12 days after surgery and it was pretty uncomfortable, as was the speculum exam. I kept running fevers (99-100.5) so they had to make sure I did not have an infection. They are treating me with antibiotics for a probable bladder infection (initial culture negative) since I have the spasms and fever.
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM

I don't know what a rectocele repair is...is that gyno? I'm glad that's working. What exactly was not "working" - sorry to be stupid in this area...don't know what that is.
I'm almost 54, I don't know about any robot surgeries...GYN suggested that for this upcoming surgery, but, I told her no thank you.
As for Caffeine, I have usually have 1 cup of coffee a day, then, maybe a chai tea OR a decaf coffee in early afternoon...but, usually the tea. I seldom have soda. Does caffeine cause bladder problems?
Please let me know if the ice pack helps.
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Caffeine can cause bladder spasms.

A rectocele occurs when the thin wall of fibrous tissue (fascia) separating the rectum from the vagina becomes weakened, allowing the front wall of the rectum to bulge into the vagina, causing a bulge which may be noticeable during bowel movements. I had a rectovaginal fistual form after the delivery of my 1st child 22 years ago. It was absoultely horrible having stool/gas leak from my vagina. The fistula was repaired 17 months later with the birth of my second child but the wall was damaged and over time a large rectocele formed.

My doctor used the robotic "DaVinci" system for my hysterectomy.

I copied this from the DaVinci hysterectomy site.
This procedure is performed using the da Vinci Surgical System . It is a breakthrough surgical platform that enables gynecologists to operate with unmatched precision, vision and control. By overcoming the limitations of both traditional open and laparoscopic surgery, da Vinci is revolutionizing gynecologic surgery for women.

Significantly less pain
Minimal blood loss and need for transfusion
Fewer complications
Shorter hospital stay
Quicker recovery and return to normal activities
Small incisions for minimal scarring
Better outcomes and patient satisfaction, in many cases

I was very pleased with my surgeon using the DaVinci system for my hysterectomy. I had minimal blood loss, scarring and pain from my hysterectomy. The majority of my pain was from the rectocele repair, the incision is the length of my vagina.
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM

That rectocele incision sounds ghastly! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
I know the robotic surgery sounds better...but...I can't wrap my feeble brain around it. She is actually going to go in through my hysterectomy incision (part of it). I've already had two belly button hernias, and I know that area is weak, she confirmed that. She said I'd have to spend that day, and the next probably before going home. I'm fine with that. because I have a really hard time after surgery and also I can't pee after anesthesia anyway, and have to be catheterized...All that plumbing shuts down for a couple days, so, I have no problem staying put for a couple days. Plus, if bladder decides to not work at all, then, I'll be in the right place for them to address the problem....I hope.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.