T-minus 20 hours to go and counting and scared of being put out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

T-minus 20 hours to go and counting and scared of being put out! T-minus 20 hours to go and counting and scared of being put out!

Unread 05-08-2011, 12:29 PM
T-minus 20 hours to go and counting and scared of being put out!

This will be my first surgery ever at 39 and I have never been under any type of anesthesia before! Being a nurse, I've seen it but the thought of it is driving me bonkers today! Just trying to remain calm. At least I don't have to do a bowel prep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Re: T-minus 20 hours to go and counting and scared of being put out!

You'll be fine! Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers-
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Keep yourself busy and later tonight, have a nice hot bath with candles and a good book. You won't be able to take a bath for a while so enjoy it while you can.

Tomorrow, make sure you speak to the anesthesiologist and tell him or her your concerns. They may give you something to relax you if you need it.

I wish you good luck tomorrow for your surgery and wish a great recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Hey, good luck tomorrow! I don't know if this might help, but I have always had a better experience with anesthesia if it's given gradually--like drifting off to sleep rather than 'all at once.' It's much less stressful--maybe it's something you can chat with the anesthesiologist about?

Hugs,

dee
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Another nurse here, and believe me I understand that being the person in the bed is a lot different from being the nurse beside the bed. I have had multiple surgeries including brain tumor surgery 3 years ago, but that doesn't make it any eaiser, I'm still nervous about my upcoming surgeries next week. I've never had any problems with anesthesia other than some nausea post-op, but we nurses are just "TOO" educated and so we find ourselves thinking of all the things that can go wrong instead of all the many,many surgeries that go forward with out any problems at all. I'll try to calm down and think positive thoughts and you do too ok? We'll be just wonderful and pretty soon we'll be on the other side and be reassuring those worriers ourselves!
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM

You'll be fine. Before you know it you'll wake up and think -- What? It's over already?

The anesthesia was a breeze for me. They put me out (they didn't even warn me) and the next thing I knew I woke up in recovery.

For now -- keep yourself busy, pamper yourself a bit and focus on the "now", not on the "what could be". because that rarely happens.

Keeping all digits crossed for you tomorrow and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM

I used to be a respiratory therapist, and yep... too much knowledge sometimes is not a good thing.

However, I have also had 5 major belly surgeries, and the only thing I actually enjoyed about the whole process was the ahhhhh.... anesthesia.

I personally think it's much harder being the family in the waiting room, sometimes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register