HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How soon after my surgery should I start feeling the Menopause effect? How soon after my surgery should I start feeling the Menopause effect?

Unread 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
How soon after my surgery should I start feeling the Menopause effect?

I know that after a major surgery like this, that my body will be going thru shock before it settles down and adjusts to whats missing...

But how soon and how bad will the symptoms of menopause start to get really going?

How bad will they get?
Unread 05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Re: How soon after my surgery should I start feeling the Menopause effect?

Did you have your ovaries removed? If so you MAY start to get some night sweats and feeling hot and cold within a few days. you MAY start to feel a little depressed and then a little angry then a little happy! lol

IF you do get any of these feelings just know that they are normal and you can get through it. Just make sure you sleep in a very cool bedroom, buy yourself a little personal fan and warn your family or friends and co-workers IF you start to feel angry all of a sudden or if you feel "down". Talking to a good friend or on this site helps because we are all either going through it or have gone through it. IF your symptoms get to where you are very weepy or depressed talk to a good Dr. I was terrified I would have a horrible time due to all the nightmare stories you hear but it really has not been that bad. I take evening primrose oil a few times a day. My Dr. said it helps 50% of the time so I take it. I am three months post op and taking a medication called Femara that gets rid of the estrogen in your body due to the cancer they found that is estrogen fed. I am doing ok without estrogen.

Don't let yourself be scared and just know that you can deal with it.
Anita.
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

I have both my overies... But Because I have had to take medications for a long time.. I have been in pre-menopause state...

I am on mood stablizers, but I have noticed a change in me, my sleeping, my moods, appitite,personal summers, and personal winters... They have all gotten worse....

Do you know anthing about someone who has still their overies?
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

The doctor removed my ovaries during my TAH.
I went into instant menopause, but I am 55.
IMHO I was going through natural menopause before the surgery anyway.
I felt a fast change in my libido (decrease) and my moods changed. Moods: I am nicer now than I ever have been.
I get occasional hot flashes. I don't really care if anyone notices, LOL.
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM

funny you are getting nicer and I am feeling like I am getting meaner.... even less tollerant of everyone's bull...

I have hot flashes,cold chills, snappy want to be left alone... then I have good days where I love playing like a little girl with my grand daughter running around the house with water guns...

But My husband Ive been ripping his head off and spitting down his throat like Im posessed....

we have been fighting alot over little things... and when he snaps at me about something I am like a ravonuos bobcat...

And I am already on mood stablizers for my PTSD,Bi-Polar dissorder..... How do I deal with that???
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I was taking medication before my LAVH so I was already experiencing "menopause" like systems. I kept both ovaries and the symptoms to me are almost worse than they were before. Since I'm only 2 wks post op, I'm hoping that will change soon. I am 46 and wasn't going through any type of menopause prior to taking the medicaiton.

I am asking the doctor for something to help with the hot flashes when I have my next appointment. They are making me so short and snappy with people! I really don't have any other symptoms that I've noticed.
But the effect was immediate...
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM

I have both my overies, but I am feeling really snappy, and have no paitence with any one and I feel like I want to be just left alone....

Is this nomal?
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:26 PM

This is purely anecdotal, but maybe I am in a good mood because my ovaries are gone.
I definitely wanted those out with my uterus, tubes, and cervix.
It is a gamble. You order one thing (TAH and BSO) and get other things: Lack of libido and heart disease risk.

The main good thing for me is hopefully no more cancer, ovaries included.
Another added benefit has been the good moods. I am so nice that sometimes I can't believe it. I don't remember ever being this nice.

I wonder how long it will last.
Hopefully, for a very long time.
I am going to have to ask my doctor about this phenomenon.

I know that he is a gyn/oncology surgeon, but maybe someone else has mentioned this to him.
Unread 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM

Geez I wish I felt all being nice and all... But I don't I feel like I just want to get the f.... from everyone....

Really not liking people at all...
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

I kept my ovaries with my TAH and notice no difference. I was perimenopausal anyway, and that's the way it will be until I go through menopause. Don't think that there is any correlation to becoming nicer just because one has their ovaries removed. I realize I am nicer because I feel so much better and am very thankful! Just my thoughts

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.