HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

please help (my horror story) please help (my horror story)

Unread 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
please help (my horror story)

Ok June 2 I went in for a vaginal hysterectomy where he only took my uterus. I went through surgery fine and was moved to a room. I had excruiciating pain all day and the nurses didn't know why. When my Dr came in at 6 that evening he felt my abdomen which was horribly swollen, he got an ultrasound machine and found a man's fist sized blood clot in there. he took me for emergency surgery and cut me hip to hip to remove it and inserted a drainage tube under the incision. Two days passed and I developed high fever so he removed the tube. I stayed two more days in the hospital on antibiotic drip but the fever did not go away, npt to mention my blood pressure stayed so low they refused to give me pain meds. I was discharged with the fever, I'm talking anywhere between 101 to 103, I keep it, always... I was home for days with no improvement so my mom took me back to the hospital and they did a ct scan thinking they found an abcess and readmitted me.. they ran maybe thirty bags of iv antibiotics into me with nothing making the fever go away or raise the blood pressure. They ran a needle into my abdomen to draw out fluid from the abcess and it came back no bacteria. I was given 2 blood transfusions and more antibiotics. I stayed five days with high fever but they still released me saying they don't kbow what's causing it. I have been home since Tuesday night and I'm still burning up with fever. I'm scared to death, I have four kids and don't want to die. The drs seem to know nothing. I'm so scared. Has anyone else been through this? I'm on double antibiotics at home and will see my Dr next Wednesday. I am 25 and my kids are so little and I'm freaking out. My blood pressure drops to like 80/43 and i get really sick. I feel worthless. The Dr also said he couldn't find where the blood in my abdomen came from and had never seen anything like this. Please forgive my typing I'm crying and on a cell phone.
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Re: please help (my horror story)

I am so sorry that you are going through this nightmare. I just wanted you to know I read your story and wanted to give you a hug.
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM

I am going to tell you my basic thinking. If you still have a high fever you need to be in a hospital even if it means seeking a second opinion from another doctor and/or a different hospital. It sounds like you had a negative culture on that abscess but I am going to guess you have infection somewhere. They need to find out if it is there or it could be urinary. They need to find the source of the fever and not guess at treating it. Perhaps you need a different surgeon's assessment. Good luck to you I hope you find some help.
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Thank you both so much.. I'm considering going to our university hospital er to see if they will help..
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM

I would most defiantly go to another hospital even if its a little drive its worth it and they in my opinion should not be discharging you without finding the problem. I know how it is to be freaking out with small kids, I would go to another hospital ASAP just take a deep breath and it will be fine
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogsWithScissor View Post
Thank you both so much.. I'm considering going to our university hospital er to see if they will help..
I would do that just a different hospital and I would recommend if you can go to the ER, you are in my prayers and so are your children I have 2 small kids myself 3 & 6 so I know where you are coming from. I dont think about myself its always them.
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:21 PM

You should definitely go to ER, it does sound like infect...I know my Dr told me if my temp ever rose to 101 and above to go to ER on the weekend...Your in my thoughts and prayers...and try to get a second opionion
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:36 PM

I don't know if this could be your problem, but I have heard of people running a fever because of too much antibiotics. Basically, your body has been wiped out of both the good and bad bacteria in your body. Maybe ask your doctor about this and see what he/she says.
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:22 PM

I had a similar situation. My fever would not go down in the hospital. I had been given a ton of antibiotics because I had 3 surgeries back to back. They did cultures and everything came back normal. It wasn't until after antibiotics were stopped for a while that it went down, but I stayed in the hospital that whole time. I would go back in, tell them you've been on a lot of antibiotics but still have a fever, and see if they'll admit you and monitor you for a few days to see if it is from the antibiotics.
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Thank you all sooo much for your advice... its comforting to hear it may be from antibiotics.. I definitly hope that's the case. I have been on tons of them.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.