HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ugly abdominal scar! Ugly abdominal scar!

Unread 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Ugly abdominal scar!

I'm at exactly 3 weeks after full hysterectomy surgery. Have a very low 3" vertical scar. It is very uneven as it is healing... and itchy. Obviously, as they were sewing up, some skin was pulled tighter. At 2 1/2 weeks, steri strips hadn't fallen off yet so doctor said for me to gently remove them, and they came off easily. So, now I can see it! Yuk!! Soooo.... Does this eventually smooth out... at all? And what do you put on it?
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Re: Ugly abdominal scar!

Hi BBja,

First of all, don't apply anything to the scar/incision until you see your doctor for your 6 week follow up appointment.

I have a horizontal scar/incision much like a C-section and even though there is swelling above it (fluid build-up), the doctor said the swelling will go down, and the scar itself will heal in due time.

Don't rush things or be too concerned - remember...your body went through 'trauma' and it needs TIME to heal properly )

After your 6 week follow up, your doctor can tell you what to apply. There is a silicone gel, you can buy from the pharmacy (have to ask the pharmacist for it) - it's specific for scars. Tiny tube, about $30 or so (yes expensive but works!). You can apply that as per the instructions, AFTER 6 weeks have gone by. Don't apply anything unless directed by your doctor. I asked my doctor about it and she told me not till she sees me (6 weeks post-op appointment).

I had my hysterectomy on May 31st, and am back to work today. The swelling has gone down a bit - but still have it and eventually it will go away.

Take it easy, don't stress but most important..........talk to your doctor!

*hugs*
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Hi BBja,

Just be patient with it. A lot of that will settle out. After it is healed, some women are using Mederma or vitamin E oil to help with scarring.

Mine was a horizontal cut, but one side was raised & it was uneven. Even had a few bumps under it. It's pretty smooth now, & part of it is not even overly visible.
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM

6 weeks, huh.... OK, I'll wait.... impatiently : ) thanks for the answers tbone and drafter. And tbone... Hope your time back at work goes smoothly for you : )
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM

I had 2 surgeries, one in feb, one the end of march. The scars and bumps do eventually even out and fade.. I t takes ALOT longer than I thought, but it is still amazing how our bodies heal...
Agreed, don't put ANYTHING on without drs ok before 6 weeks. And protect the scar from the sun for a YEAR.. the new skin will burn really fast, and permanently scar more.
My scar from 4 months ago is softening up, and less sore. One part has faded, the other is still more purple... There is still swelling above the incision that comes and goes.
The surgery scar from3 months ago is still tender and hard. It had been quite bumpy with ridges, but they have smoothed out already. It is still quite stiff and uncomfortable to press on. But healing has been slower in the past 2 months, because I'm doing chemotherapy. So, your scar should soften up sooner...
I have heard that the special cremes really help alot, when it is time to uses them, and that it is worth the $$$ to use it..
My bikini days are over, so I might just ignore the purple stripe.... Since my DH isn't bothered by it.
Courage and perseverance!!!
Bev
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Hey girls!!

Another thing to remember is your DIET is KEY !!! Eating healthy and making sure to take a multi-vitamin is essential for recovery, externally and especially internally!!

The expensive gel for scars that you can purchase by asking the pharmacist does work )

I'm going on 5 weeks as of tomorrow, since my surgery - and the hardness above my incision is going down VERY slowly - doctor said it's fluid build-up and will go away.

This website HysterSisters is awesome, for support and connecting with women who are going through or have gone through the same thing. It's essential to listen to doctors 'orders' LOL even if you feel like you can do more, or want to do more.

Remember........we only have ONE chance at revovery right the FIRST time. Don't want to have complications by over-doing it.

Stay strong, and listen to your body!

Peace )

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.