HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Urinary Retention post op pelvic floor reconstruction Urinary Retention post op pelvic floor reconstruction

Unread 07-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Urinary Retention post op pelvic floor reconstruction

I had pelvic floor reconstruction on June 24. I did not have a hysterectomy but hope that you ladies can help me anyway.

I had a catheter until last Thursday and have not been able to urinate since. I have been self catheterizing since. I am completely unable to start at all. There is pain when I try but no results.

I have been off pain pills for 6-7 days. My pain is minimal but my emotional state is bleak. Yes, the doctor mentioned self cath as a possible after surgery and I don't blame him but I need some kind of a plan. I am not good at wait and see.

The doctor gave me 4 catheters on Thursday said they were reusable and that this may take from a few days to a week or 2 to resolve.

How long do I wait until I insist that the doctor do something? What should I expect him to do?

What do you think about reusing catheters? I have contacted the Durable goods provider for our insurance, they MIGHT have some additional catheters available in a week. This seems just wrong to me but it also seems outside my control. What else can I do?

Any tips about sharing this info with friends and family? How do I return to work using a catheter?

Any similar stories? How long did it last? What did you do?

Thanks,

Marilyn
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Urinary Retention post op pelvic floor reconstruction

Hi, I also has Pelvic floor reconstruction in 2006. Just had a hysterectomy June 20th. I had the same problem with urinary retention after my pelvic floor reconstruction just like you. I didn't have to self cath, I had an indewelling foley cath for a week after my surgery. I had mine done at the U of M. I know I didn't know anything about urinary retention of being a side effect of that surgery but from other ladies I have talked to it seems to be common in a way. I know I was so sick of draining my bag and we tried a couple times to take the cath out but every time I was back in the ER getting a cath put back in.

I hope it gets better soon for you, I know for myself it was a week of the cath. Good luck and feel better.
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Re: Urinary Retention post op pelvic floor reconstruction

Thanks... I had a foley for 6 days post up. I am 5 days from that point still not a drop.

I am horrified that I will never be normal again. This is an unimaginable complication to this surgery. It was completely downplayed in the consent process....

I am so sad.....I just cannot stop crying.
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM

I had a hysterectomy and midurethral sling 4 years ago. I don't even remember hearing about urinary retention as a possible complication. Well, I was like you, but I was a first for this Dr. I went home self-cathing. Once I got the hang of it, it was not a problem and I managed. This went on for 3 months and things slowly got better. Well, actually after, I then had an over active bladder and had to go on Enablex for about 5 months.

I just had major prolapse surgery 4 weeks ago and another sling because the other one my body absorbed. However, this time I was with the best Urogyn in our city. From everything I described the sling was too tight.

I did have a lot of UTI's because of the catheters, but I'm having the same problem now and I only had a catheter in the hospital for about 36 hours. I'm on the 3rd one in 4 weeks, or the same one that we can't seem to get to go away.

My question, what type of Dr. did your surgery? If it wasn't a urogyn and you are still have retention issues in a week or two see a urogyn. Though, my Dr. does not like to do anything until the 6 week appointment, unless there are some very glaring issues going on (ie, bleeding, loss of bladder control).

I've been there and it was traumatic at the time, as they thought I had neurological issues which manifested themselves due to the trauma of surgery (shows how off base they were). Now that it is in the past, had I know it could be a complication and what they would do in that case, it was tolerable.

Best wishes.

From this recent surgery, I can go to the bathroom, but my bladder is still being touchy. I have a tough time when I get up in the morning.
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM

THANK you for your response. I have spent 5 days looking for any one that may have had any kind of similar experience. I have a very complicated history including a stroke 11 years ago. Because of that I am limited to the local university hospitals. Long story, I was on the pill, had a blood clot blah blah blah now nobody really wants to touch me because I may stroke out again.

I see a uro...he is the head of the uro depart at the local university. I saw the uro/gyn but he and I did not connect and I was afraid that if there were complications he and I would have real problems. The holiday has made this really hard.

I will call the office in the morning but I think I am in for a wait and see path that is likely to last several months.

I started to bleed a little this morning the on call said, stay the course.

This is such a horrible complication to navigate in addition to the post opp recovery. I have had 4 gyno surgeries in the last 10 years each on trying to preserve the "organ" to avoid HRT. I signed the consent this time and thought I was done for. I was elated when I woke up and the doctor said she was able to avoid it again.

Thanks again for your response.
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Hello,

I had a radical hysterectomy (da Vinci laparoscopic) on Feb. 25, 2011 due to cervical cancer and I have been urine retentive ever since (going on 5 months) Not a drop. I have been to a urologist and he did all the usual testing and says that it is nerve damage and that I have a none compliant badder. I have been self cathing since about 3 weeks after the surgery. I reuse my plastic caths making sure I wash them really well with soap and warm water. I have only had 1 mild bladder infection. My doctors tell me that nerves grow back slowly and it will probably work itself out but I am beginning to lose hope. There are not many girls out there with this problem. I am also not very patient at the "waiting" game. I plan on doing more research to see what other options I have but probably need to find a way to be patient! Hope things work out for you.
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Erin,

So sorry to hear your story but glad to not be alone. I saw the doctor yesterday and he assured me it would be better eventually. But it is hard to wait. It is so hard to believe that there is no medicine, no exercises, no PT, nothing....The doctor wants to wait 8 weeks post op before talking about options.

The nerve issue is interesting to me, because, I have no urge, no full feeling, just pain if I wait too long. I am going to look into that....

The insurance company has approved 180 caths per month so I am feeling a little "cleaner". I am so glad I am not a germaphobe this would do me in.

I am glad to be any support I can, it sounds like you have been on a pretty trying road.

Marilyn

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.