HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does it hurt to have the catheter put in? Does it hurt to have the catheter put in?

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Does it hurt to have the catheter put in?

I've never had a catheter. Does it hurt to have it put in?

When I had my outpatient ablation in March, since I wasn't permitted liquids, they had a heck of a time getting an IV started. I had so many bruises on both arms from the nurses slapping my arms to see if vein would pop up, plus having to reinsert the iv needle.

I'm worried about the IV thing again, and now I'm concerned about the catheter.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Re: Does it hurt to have the catheter put in?

Chances are you will already be asleep when you get your catheter. I had mine removed the next day, then had it reinserted as I couldn't pee. I really didn't feel it then. When they remove your catheter, take a deep breath and breath out as they remove it. Voila-it's out! No pain! If you are really worried about the IV, remind them of what happened in March, and let the Anethesiologist (SP?) put it in. Stay really, really hydrated the week before surgery, and drink something like Gatorade the day before. All of these little things freak us out as we wait. Try not to worry too much. The waiting is the hardest part. Good luck!
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM

I was asleep when they put in the catheter and it really didn't hurt to have it removed. However, when I woke up from surgery I felt like I had to pee. It took a while for that feeling to go away.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM

I was already asleep when my catheter was done. --hopefully, they'll do the same for you and ya won't feel a thing.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM

hello....
Yes it is a bit uncomfortable when the nurse inserts a catheter into you urethra....however if this is done for you surgery you will already be under...
When they remove it however it is quite painful..............for me it was like a spasm inside me.....very painful but went away after a couple hours...I would suggest cranberry pills before and after every day of you you surgery....miracle really those pills......try it....but dont worry much about your catheter - least of your worries now
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:05 AM

Hello, my catheter was put in after I was put out. I can relate about the IV as they had to get two people to get mine in..very painful and very stressful! When it came time for them to take out my catheter, I was very afraid that it was going to be painful, I stressed really bad and asked the nurse if it was going to hurt, she then looked at me and asked me if it did, because it was already out.. evidentally there is a trick about the balloon or something ( aske the dr at your preop appt ) Good luck, and try to relax, the waiting is the worst part, but you will be fine!!
Glo
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:59 AM

I have had catheters inserted whilst awake and always found it painful. Now I always ask that it is put in after I am under just to be sure. As for taking it out, it is done so quickly I barely feel it.
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Thank you. I feel so stupid for being so naive about all this stuff.
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:17 AM

You shouldn't feel stupid. If you never had it done before how are you suppose to know. Plus, every Dr is different and they do things their own way.
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM

I had my catheter put in when I was under the anesthesia. Just had my catheter out yesterday, and it kind of felt like a dry tampon being pulled out, not really painful but uncomfortable. They gave me an injection of lidocaine before my IV was put in and that really helped.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.