HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What the heck! Period cramps with no uterus???? What the heck! Period cramps with no uterus????

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
What the heck! Period cramps with no uterus????

Hi sisters, What is this pain/feeling????? I've been having lower belly cramping feeling just like a period! Has anyone experienced this? What is it? It doesn't feel like bowel, it feels like uterus!! Thanks! Carolann Tomm. is 5 weeks since my LAVH, both ovaries saved...
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Re: What the heck! Period cramps with no uterus????

You are likely feeling your bowel and/or ovulation. Many ladies find that post hysterectomy some of what they thought was uterine cramps was actually a portion of their bowel! Also, ovulation can cause some cramping feeling, especially initially when there is still some healing going on.

Unread 07-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks, Occationally I do feel it on the left side also..could be ovulation. Do you still ovulate without the uterus?? I'm 50.
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM

If your ovaries were functioning prior to your hysterectomy, they can function after your hysterectomy.

Even if one was in natural menopause prior to a hysterectomy, the ovaries can still secrete trace amounts of estrogen during menopause. So, there is still some activity going on.

It can take time for your body to adjust and heal following surgery. The blood supply to the ovaries can be interrupted with the removal of the uterus, where the uterus was removed your organs can jostle around to fill that space, some of your guts don't exactly like anesthesia and can be cranky for awhile, on and on an on! The end result is that during recovery you can feel all sorts of things that will likely resolve with a little bit more time!

Unread 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks so much! I love your knowledge on this stuff! Women as me all the time if I'm in menopause now. I never know what to tell them. I was on B-HRT which was causing me to bleed, basically false induced periods. Before HRT, I went about 9 months without a period. So, I don't know where I am as far as menopause
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:33 PM

I am pretty sure I had phantom cramps for weeks afterwards...it was really weird!
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM

I have had those cramps too! It's really normal and common. Eventually everything calms down. (((hugs)))
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks for asking the question!! I have been having them too! I still have my ovaries as well......my breasts are even sore like I am getting a period......it's a weird feeling now that I know that I have no uterus....thanks for the question.....and all the answers!!
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Hi ladies Im reading your replies and you all seem to know whats going on I hope you can help!!!! I had TOH on may 31 kept ovaries had my 6 week check up and dr said everything looks great cuff is healed my tummy is almost flat a little tender but said I could resume all activity ..YEAH!!! ... So romantic night planned everything is going great as soon as we finish I start having sharp pain in my lower pelvic area get all clammy and sweaty and run to the bathroom extreamly nauseous I didnt get sick but the cramps were unbareble worse then period cramps on and off like a wave untill 4 am this all started at about 9 pm , I then had extream diarhea ,,, today I called my dr he said the nausea was probably from the pain and the cramping should subside like its no big deal..........All day I have been lying down I feel like week one swelly belly sore to touch hurts to move walk .Did I pull my muscles ? Is it supposed to be this painful ? My sweet guy felt so bad and helpless I scared to try again
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you ladies.. you answered a question for me.... I've been having "ghost cramps" for the past week. I couldn't figure out what was going on.. it felt like period cramps, which can't be possible because I lost both ovaries during the surgery (if they find them, they can keep the suckers! HAHAHA)

But I've been wondering what's going on. Not panicked or worried, just curious.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.