HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Has anyone else had to leave the hospital with a catheter? Has anyone else had to leave the hospital with a catheter?

Unread 07-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Has anyone else had to leave the hospital with a catheter?

Hi, my name is Anne. I had an LAVH this past Tuesday, along with a bladder sling and other repairs. I had problems with being unable to urinate and had to leave the hospital with a catheter in place. I stayed at the hospital until yesterday, and am happier at home today, but still in pain and kind of depressed and anxious. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I have a great doctor who has given me his direct cell phone number, and he tells me that this just happens sometimes, and not to worry, but I am still kind of anxious. I can try taking out the catheter tomorrow, but will have to go straight to the Urgent Care to have it reinserted if I still can't urinate. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Re: Has anyone else had to leave the hospital with a catheter?

Hello, I am new here also. I had a hysterectomy and TVT done on June 23,2011. Today made three weeks since I left the hospital with a catheter. While at the hospital, I could not void, it was sooo bad I got dizzy and nausea my urologist made them put the catheter back in and send me home. I could not take it out myself because it had some type of ballon on the end that would not come out with out assistance from the medical person. I hated him at the time. I hurt and I could not sleep the whole 4 days I was home with it in. He told me that I had to allow the swelling from the surgeries to go down before I could actually void properly But, I went back 4 days later and when it was removed I was asked to drink water and void; and I did and I was happy. I just went back on tuesday and still say I am doing fine. I don't know if you should take it out so soon. My doc didn't want it being put in and taken out to often because he said it caused risk of infection. Although I hated it at the time, I followed directions and I waited the amount of days that was asked of me and I am glad I did. No, going home with a catheter in not ideal, but it all made since, it takes a few days for swelling to start going down. The body is traumatized during the proceedures. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. I am at three weeks and I think I'm ok
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:34 AM

Thank you so much for replying. I have also been thinking that I want to wait until Monday to remove the catheter. My doctor showed me how to cut the tubing to drain the bulb, but if I can't void on my own then I have to go immediately to an Urgent Care and have it reinserted. He has also said I could wait until Monday and he would see me to reinsert it instead and in fact that is what he originally asked, but I was having some minor trouble with urine in my blood yesterday, so he said I could take it out early if I wanted. I am very anxious about doing it myself and also about doing it too early and having to have it put in again. After hearing your experience I think I will wait and just tell him the truth, I'd feel more comfortable having it done at his office with him right there. Great that you're doing so well, thanks again for answering, you've given me some peace of mind.
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Hi, with all my repairs I was sent home with a catheter for an entire week. It was annoying but convenient not to get up all the time. Two hours before my one week check I had to cut that valve to release the baloon. It was easy and painless. Good luck with your healing.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Went home with a suprapubic catheter (not the foley that sounds like most people went home with). This particular cath comes out of your belly and you can urinate the normal way but then you turn the knob on the cath and it empties the bladder totally. Initially I was scared to death bc I had never seen or had this type of cath. But I found it was much more comfortable than the regular foley. I liked being able to void on my own as well to retrain the bladder. Best of luck to all my sisters. Hugs.
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks so much for all the support! I woke up the morning nauseous, with a headache and swollen face and body, in fact after weighing myself I found I had gained 10 lbs since surgery on the 12th. Decided to go to the ER and get checked out. They removed the catheter, and although I could urinate some,( an improvement over the hospital where I was totally blocked) they felt I needed a few more days with the catheter and reinserted it. Although I was not thrilled with that, I was happy to at least see some progress. I am very constipated and so am trying to just take Advil instead of Oxy today, and that seems to be helping. Another small step forward! Haven't spent so much time thinking about my toilet habits since I was a toddler, lol! Thanks again Sisters.
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Hi my name is Julie, and I am 8 days post op, I had hysterectomy da vinci and bladder repair, my problem is I went home with catheter, had it removed went to ER to have it put back in, got it removed Friday and now I am self cathing, I am so frustrated, I wonder how long its going to take for my bladder to start working. I guess I shouldnt complain, but I just didnt expect this.
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:00 PM

I had lavh on Wednesday. I can't urinate on my own. I had to come home with a cathader I have to keep it till tues. I'm scared my bladder will not work!
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM

That's exactly how I feel Chulsey. I was actually having an anxiety attack about it last night, even though my doctor assures me that will not be the case, and he's a great doctor, recommended by everyone, even gave me his personal cell phone to call him. I guess just reading what the other members have said, and trusting in our doctors is all we can do right now. It's scary though, I will be glad when it's all over.
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Don't worry your bladder will work, it just takes time, the nurse who took my catheter out, used to work in urology, she said you have to have patience, which I don't have, but working on. I am continuing to self cath after each void, its a pain, but doable. Everyone is different how they heal, my friend wore a catheter for a week, and was fine, I am going on 8 days, I evidently take longer to heal. Just so thankful for my family who is taking such great care of me. Just be patient and before you know it you will be as good as new.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.