HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does the pain last after an abdominal hysterectomy? How long does the pain last after an abdominal hysterectomy?

Unread 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
How long does the pain last after an abdominal hysterectomy?

I was just curious how long the pain and discomfort usually lasts after having an abdominal hysterectomy? I am a week out and still having quite a bit of soreness and discomfort.
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Re: How long does the pain last after an abdominal hysterectomy?

I am sorry to say that is totally an individual thing. The only pain I had the day after surgery was pulling from my incision when I moved. If I was still, I had no pain whatsoever. I was shocked to discover that when I stopped pushing the morphine pump the following morning just to see how I was. My plan was to start pushing the button again at the first twinge but I never had a smidgeon of pain while lying, sitting or standing. The pulling from the incision stopped at about a week and half to two weeks post-op. One day it was just gone. The feeling of heaviness and being uncomfortable if standing for too long took a long time to go. I believe that took at least a couple of months. I am sure that other ladies will respond to you with their experience.
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM

I had my surgery on 6/29. For the first week and a half I was very uncomfortable. Not just my incision, but the gas. I have good days and bad days! Sometimes I feel like I did when I first got home (today is one of those days!!!) The more I do the more I hurt. And when I say the more I do that means......wiping off a counter, switching laundry from washer to dryer (while my daughter is watching), helping my 4 yr old to bed (without lifting her). Just remember that everyone is different. The level of pain and discomfort will be different for everyone.
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Had my TAH on July 14th. I used my morphine pump about 4-6 times per day while in hospital. I was taking Tylenol 3 for pain at home but on advice from nurse yesterday (had staples removed) went down to extra strength Tylenol instead. It works just fine for discomfort. I found that the pulling and alot of the pain left after my staples came out. I think everyone is different on what they are able to tolerate as well. Must admit I'm a but of a suck that way. But all in all I'm feeling rather good today, day 8 post-op. Sallmh, just listen to your own body and it will let you know what it needs. Be well.

Leslue
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Hello,Im 14 days today and just taking motrin in am and then before bed.Slight pulling and burning still.No incision pain though. My sister is a surgical tech and she said depending on what instruments they use to separate your muscles,you will feel very bruised. I was feeling like a horse kicked me on my sides,I guess they used big instruments on me!!Much better today and sleeping okay.Take care and rest as much as you can,even if you arent sleeping.It gets better every day.Noelle
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:10 PM

It seems everyone is different. I was only taking advil or tylenol at four or five days post op. I was sore and had discomfort for a week or two. I think that walking and moving around actually helped with that. I was most uncomfortable though when getting "up and down" and "in and out" of bed.

It does get better. Good luck on your recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.