HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long full recovery How long full recovery

Unread 07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
How long full recovery

I had my LAVH/BSO 7-7-11. It's been just a little over two weeks. I feel pretty good, but sometimes just have little pinches and just feel a little funny inside. I know it takes time to heal, but I was wondering how long until I feel like myself again? I try to rest like I should and walk around, but I'm not sure how much is too much? I don't want to over do and hurt myself, but I also want to move and get stronger. I wondering if I am being too cautious by not pushing a little. Is there any advice to help in the healing process?
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Re: How long full recovery

Hi, im three weeks on from post op. All advice i can give you is to listen to your body, I only go out for a couple of hrs if i go any longer my belly swells so i know ive done enough. I make sure im on the sofa by 3pm and rest till its bath time and bed. Just take each day as it comes

Take care
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks for your reply. Hope for a speedy recovery for you.
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks Hun, you to..
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM

I am six weeks post op and still have a few "twinges" here and there. I still have to be careful about over doing things. I go back to work Monday and I wonder how I will feel and the end of the day. I have a friend who said that it was one year until she totally felt like herself again.

As far as pinches and twinges, my doctor said that even though the outside had heeled nicely, the inside is still healing and takes longer.

Good luck on your recovery.
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Thanks for your in put that's so good to know, hope all go's well when you return to work.
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:06 PM

db50

Initial recovery is 2/4 to 6/8 weeks depending on the type of surgery. Full recovery can go for 6 to 12 months.

Unread 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM

HI there,
I"d say, just let your body be your guide. During the first week or so, I was walking laps around the downstairs of my house... cat thought I was crazy. Had a recliner to be in much of the day. I was doing well pretty fast so at 2 weeks, Dr. said I could drive when I was at check-up. At almost 3 weeks, went to an outdoor concert where my son's band was playing. Had two different birthdays of sons at our house after operation and for the second one, at just 4 weeks post-op, I prepared lots of food before the family all arrived. (Husband did the cooking for first one at 2 1/2 weeks post-op) Was walking 1 or 2 miles daily in neighborhood by then. I'd usually take an afternoon nap in my recliner... and napping is something I normally would never do. Weekend of 5 weeks post-op, had a very busy full weekend. Pretty amazing how fast I recovered. Just pace yourself and pamper yourself with rests... reading books is great! I'm at 6 weeks post-op now and, except for the lovely vertical incision, would hardly know I'd had an operation. It'll go fast!
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Full recovery can be different for different people. Some recovery quickly others take much longer.
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM

I personally believe it is better to take it slow, even if you feel you can do more. You have PLENTY of time to make yourself stronger. I am saying this as someone who is REALLY wants to get moving, working out again, and back to life. I am not even 2 weeks out yet. However, it is better to take it easy longer than we personally feel than to end up with issues later. I know I don't always know I do damage until the damage has been done, and then some. Thats just my opinion... and yes, some people heal faster than others, but we don't have a scanner to look at how our insides are healing. We can only go on our opinions of how we are feeling and equate that to how we have healed.

So... with that said... if you are in doubt, take it easy! It is better to be safe than sorry in situations like this.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.