HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Surgery for SUI using mesh; Update--surgery scheduled Surgery for SUI using mesh; Update--surgery scheduled

Unread 07-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Surgery for SUI using mesh; Update--surgery scheduled

I had surgery planned for july 6 using the mesh. I was so uncertain because of all the trauma I have already been through that I rescheduled it. I spoke with my Dr and brushed off my concerns. She said that she hasn't seen any complications. The only that she has heard are women who are in there 60's. I am in my 40s and should be just fine. The only thing she did say is that there was no guarantee that it would stop the leaking. Also that it may irritate my bladder because I have OAB, and have had a lot of UTIs. So she may have to go back in and release the sling or take out completely. It is now scheduled for 8/17
I am trying to get my Insurance to approve some PT instead, I tried some different PT already but it was unsuccessful because of UTIs. I don't know what to do??
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Re: Complications from mesh for pelvic organ prolapse

I would ask her what is the alternative to mesh? Search the forum too. My understanding is the mesh makes OAB, UTIs worse. I know I read of a new procedure uesing the acronym, CRISP. Search it.
And Good Luck with everything! Remember if it doesn't feel right trust your gut instincts!
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Re: Re-thinking upcoming A&P/SUS with mesh.

Hey ladies,
I had my presurgery consult with my URO today. We also spoke back in may and at that time I wasn't ready so I cancelled two surgeries for SUI using mesh. I do not have prolapse, she just said that it is normal small bladder drop for me. She recommended the mesh because in my case I have had so many abdominal surgeries that she didn't know if I would have good tissue to use. She said she would like to try the mesh and if it does not help then we can possibly go in and use my tissue. But the final decision is mine. She said she has done this surgery since they first started at UCLA and has not seen any erosion for SUI. But she did see it poke through the vagina, She said she has done 100s of them and also removed mesh from other woman. Lastly she told me that I was free to get other opinions, but the FDA did not say that the mesh for SUI was unsafe. She said that the medical community has known about mesh problems since day one, now the FDA is finally agreeing to look at the complications more closely. I trust her she was my third surgery URO for my fistula repair it was finally successful. she said she is very good and careful when doing this procedure. we agreed to do surgery using mesh, on OCT 27, she is pregnant and due in Dec so if I want her to do it it needs to be soon or I will need to find new URO or wait for her to come back in FEb next year. I am ready and am going to put it in Gods hands.
I know it can be so confusing but no matter what we decide you have to look back and have no regrets... even if something goes wrong I will have no regrets.. I am doing everything I can... Also she said there is no success/failure rate in comparing the two different surgery.
Sorry for the long post... Prayers are welcome!! Lea
Unread 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Good lock lea... Trust but verify is my motto...glad you did your homework and trust your doc.
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Thanks I'm Back,
I am so nervous... I really hope I am making the right decision. This is so hard.
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Re: Surgery for SUI using mesh; Update--surgery scheduled

I struggled also so asked anyone that would listen! I had never used the word vagina so many times before!
I even asked my male coworkers about sex with spouses post surgery! My dental hygienist had surgery and I begged for details!!
If you open up to people they will tell you quite a bit.
I am 46, and still cannot believe how little I knew about my body..

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway