HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 07-31-2011, 06:16 AM
Gas relief

Hi I am a new member to this website. I recently had a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy on July 20, 2011. The surgery went very well. I felt no discomfort with the surgery. However the Carbon Dioxide placed inside my chest caused a significant amount of discomfort. It was very difficult for me to breath, I had to take small breaths in order to manage. I slept sitting for almost a week before this discomfort began to subside. It's been a week and 4 days since my surgery and I feel so much better but my right arm and shoulder strap still has plenty of discomfort with the gas pain. What can I do? I am 40 years old, had a fibroid that grew significantly in the last 7 years and opt to remove my cervix, uterus and tubes. I have a very high family risk of cancer on both sides.
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Re: Gas relief

hiya joeannie if you don't want to take tablets for your gas pains try peppermint tea, they gave me that in hospital and it worked wonders.
hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm new here too and experiencing the same thing. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on July 27th. I have been sleeping sitting straight up in a chair. My shoulder and ribs on the right side give me unbearable pain. My incisions don't bother me. My doctor told me to walk as much as my body can tolerate. It does seem to help. I will try peppermint tea. I did try gas tablets but did not get much relief.
Hang in there, time will be good to us.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:34 AM

After my surgery,when the gas was in my shoulders the nurses put hot towels around my upper body.They said it broke up the gas. When I got home I did the same thing with the heating pad when the gas was bad. I t seemed to help alot. Good luck.Noelle
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM

Thank you so much mishno5 I’ll try the peppermint tea. I took Anise tea and it didn’t help as much. Peppermint tea sounds wonderful, thanks again

Kwsimon, I wish you the very best , I was told to walk it off too but it felt like I was hit with a sledgehammer on my right side. It was unbearable the first three days but on the fifth day it became so much better. I can now sleep on my back but I struggle sideways. It will get better for you after the first week. Wishing you and everyone here the very best.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank you Noelle ! will try it tonight before bed time.
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:55 AM

JoeAnnie,
You were so right. The pain in my shoulder went away after day four and I can sleep in bed again. Wishing you the best.
Kwsimon
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Walking is one of the best remedies, also the heating pad relieves some of the discomfort.
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Kwsimon
Thank you, I'm so glad it worked out for you. I feel like my old self again. I'm able to cook dinner for my family and do laundry with some help of course. I don't lift anything that I shouldn't but I do most of my house work. I'm on my second week and I feel great. I did have to take some Phillips' milk of magnesia to regulate myself and it was smooth sailing afterwards.
Best of luck to ya!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.